Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Checklist?

Gohan

Cavy Slave
Can some one give me a checklist of stuff I need before bringing two new pigges home?

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Oh, man. I wonder if this will have varying opinions.

- An appropriately sized cage. (obviously)
- An area to have floor time safely
- Hiding houses
- safe bedding (kiln dried pine,aspen,carefresh, fleece)
- A nice stock of healthy pellets (Oxbow is easy to find) as well as the leafiest, greenest hay you can find.
- A scale. I'm going to consider this as a definite necessity to keep track of health
- Some people also stock a lot of first aid supplies, but if you are able to make a short trip to the store for those things I don't think it's a huge deal
- Grooming items. Q-tips,cotton rounds, mineral oil,coconut oil, brushes,nail clippers.
- a carrier. Cat carriers work, and they even have top loading ones!

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Here's all the stuff I can think of. Heh, with my mind, I most likely forgot some stuff but hopefully others will add more.

A big enough cage. A C&C cage. 2x3 is the minimum for one pig and 2x4 is the minimum for 2, but bigger is better!

Bedding of some sort. CareFresh and fleece are the ones I see used most. NO CEDAR BEDDING.

Proper food. Not the food with all the fancy colored bots and seeds. Preferably Oxbow or Kleenmama's.

Of course, food dishes and water bottles. One for each pig.

Hidey houses. Again, one for each pig, and they should have two openings in case of squabbles.

HAY. Guinea pigs NEED fresh Timothy hay. The best kind out there is Kleenmama's.

They should have stuff to entertain themselves with. Some toys can be cardboard tubes, tennis balls, and some bird toys.

You will need stuff to clean the cage. The stuff I use for spot cleaning (I use fleece for bedding) are just a plastic cup and a hand broom. You could also use a little vacuum cleaner. To clean the coroplast when it's full cage cleaning time, you can use a 50-50 water-vinegar solution to wipe down the cage.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but as I said, I'm sure there's more that others will tell you!

BlueButterfly

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness, there's so much... Let's see...

A water bottle
Two food bowls
Bedding
A cage
Hay
Hay thingy
Two houses
Food
A veggie ball, or bowl
Nail clippers
If you get boys, mineral oil
Spray bottle
Dustpan, if you plan on using fleece
Towels

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
If you get two guinea pigs, you will have to have almost two of every thing, so they will not fight over it. That's what I have for my pigs.:)

CLV71

Cavy Slave
I think the most important thing you need is a good vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.