Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Char's wicked post-spay mohawk

ThisFluffyFox

Cavy Slave
This morning at eight AM, we dropped our Charmeleon off at the vet for her spay. Although I was a nervous wreck the entire time (as I normally am), her surgery went absolutely fine and six hours later we were bringing home a very groggy pig.

She's doing absolutely fine, so far. She had started eating almost immediately; the vet students offered her some food and she greedily snagged it from them. She's drinking just fine, and has figured out that the best place to sleep is under her bottle so she doesn't have to move very far. The poop factory is certainly working just fine. And with her incisions sites being so small and neat, I've not had to worry about a thing so far. I'm hoping that she doesn't fare too badly as she comes off her initial dose of pain meds.

So now I get to share some pictures!

12773153_10209239215204066_1631010369_o.jpg12810345_10209239215484073_256776928_o.jpg
Both sides are super tiny and very neat. Doesn't look like she'll be able to bother them very much.

Since both of her sides were shaved, she's left with just a thin stripe of hair going down her back, and I think it makes her look like quite the little punk. Her mohawk is pretty darn spiffy, if you ask me.

12789930_10209239214804056_1579516121_o.jpg

Anything I should look out for, post spay? I'm monitoring her eating, drinking, and defecation, as well as the wound sites themselves, but I just want to be sure.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Just curious, do most vets do flank incisions for spays? I assumed it would be a midline abdominal incision.

I'm glad your girl's doing well after her surgery

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The midline incision has been used for years. The flank spay is a newer surgery, and opinions are divided about which is best. I asked my vet about it when we thought one of my pigs might have ovarian cysts. He says that the flank spay takes a little longer if you're removing the uterus, a little less if you're only taking the ovaries.

One of the reasons that spaying a female is a more risky surgery than neutering a male is that the ovaries are behind the intestines, up against the spine. The more they have to handle the intestines, the greater the danger of bloat after surgery. It's my understanding that when they only take the ovaries in a flank spay, they don't have to handle the intestines as much. But if they do a complete spay, it requires just as much handling of the intestines as with an abdominal spay.

I guess the short answer is, you pay your money, you take your choices.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I don't think I've ever seen a piggy with such a silly hair cut XD
Im happy she made it through so well, congrats!

ThisFluffyFox

Cavy Slave
They only removed her ovaries, so they figured a flank spay would be better in her case.

She's still doing remarkably well. Eating just like normal, which is a relief considering she goes on food strike for the simplest of things. She's taking her meds like a champ, as well - though it's apparently banana flavored, so there's no surprise there, honestly.

Over all, I'm highly impressed with the University clinic. They're handled all of my guinea pig issues so well.

I absolutely love her fur now! Especially with the way it comes to a point. Like I said before- it's pretty darn spiffy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.