Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cavy Handling Help?

Skyhi96

Cavy Slave
My guinea Pig will always run away if i try to pet him.....
If i talk in a soothing voice he would freeze and stare at me....
Any tips on how to get him to like me and play with me?
Sorry, im new at these guinea pig stuff.....lol

Some guinea pigs just really don't like being picked up or held. You can try offering him his favorite veggies or sit down with him during floor time and let him come to you. You can also spend some time near the cage not touching him or petting him but not picking him up. Just be patient; it can take a while, but you should be able to make some progress.

You should always try to pick them up from the front rather than grabbing them from above - being prey animals this is terrifying for them, just keep at it be patient and also calm around them and in time they'll be happy to come out for a cuddle.

When you are doing something calm let your guinea pig out of his or her cage then sit on the floor it may learn to trust you or it always could just not like to be held as other people have been saying. Here are some things that you can do while your guinea pig is out... you can read a book, and you could write some thing to someone like a letter,you could even color ( if you like to color), you could listen to music and maybe put some treats that your guinea pig like to eat by your side again it might learn to trust you by doing things that are calm like that you never know but that usually works on most guinea pigs

My piggies are still afraid of me, but I find if I sit in their cage with them (it's really big) for a little bit, they get curious and then want to sit near me. That makes it easier to pick them up. They don't like being picked up but they love being held once they're up against my body or on my lap. I would think sitting near your cage would have a smilar effect. I don't know about anyone else but I can sit and watch my girls for a couple of hours and not get bored, so just chillin' in their cage watching them bobble around is an enjoyable way to spend some time.

Every pig is different.

I have a Mom & Daughter pair where mom (Yam-Yam) is a total lap pig while daughter (Bubbles) is a total freedom loving little bugger.

It does not mean that Bubbles do not love me as I know she does...

She wheeks the loudest for me, she shows that she craves attention by putting her paws on my DH's & my feet. She pop-corn the most whenever I let her have her free roam time especially with me. And she is the frequent beggar for food & will wheek in protest whenever I have to head upstairs to use the bathroom.

But... she does not like to be held as long as Yam-Yam as she is a young pig, full of energy, wandering wonders & adventurous spirit. I do not think that young little rascal will be conquered by my tender touch anytime soon... more like she conquered me with her happy go lucky, very bubbly & quite the freedom loving pig personality.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.