Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands Can this table support a cage?

merrycat

Cavy Slave
I'm getting a little tired of bending to clean, so I was thinking of using the Lack coffee table from Ikea (the larger size, which is 46"x31") to raise it up a little. I haven't seen these in person though, and the nearest Ikea is kind of a ways from me. Before I waste my time going out there, does anyone have this table? Do you know how sturdy it is? Will it hold up a the cage, water, food, pigs, etc and also stand up to being moved a little for cleaning?

I wanted this particular table because, while it will be slightly less than 4 grids long, it will be almost 2.5 grids deep. My boys won't lose any space and may actually gain a little. Plus it's really reasonably priced for Canada. I could easily afford to put two side by side if I ever decide to expand.

Edit: Here's a link to the table in question - https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10065958/

Last edited:
That should be fine. :)

I don't personally have one of them but looking at them on Ikea's website, I'm 99.9% sure that they would work perfectly as a cage stand. I have other products from Ikea and they are all pretty well made! It's a simple design and the product itself weighs nearly 50lbs so I'm thinking it should be fairly sturdy.

It will easily support a cage. I've used their Lack tables for years.

I had my old midwest cage on an IKEA table, it worked perfectly.

I have a couple of the smaller one, and they are strong enough for me to stand on, so I imagine this one would hold a cage perfectly.

Just curious as I have trouble with dimensions, but how far up from the ground is the table top?

I don't think a table that low will help with your back. You'll have to kneel down when cleaning the cage to keep your back from bending.

A dining table might work better for the height.

I like the lack furniture from ikea. It is sturdy and cheap. I use the smaller lack tables for a lego table for the kids without problem.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I think hubby and I will be taking a little trip to Ikea in the next few weeks :)

Lissie, it is kind of short, but we won't have space for another dining table in the place we're moving to. With this, I can sit on my little ottoman and not have to bend down for daily cleaning and maintenance. Plus, they'll be eye-level when I'm lying on the couch. If I decide to have them beside my computer in the study instead, they'll be at a good height from my computer chair.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.