Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Can I use canary nail clippers?

Akiira

Cavy Slave
I just recently had a friend of a friend who needed to get rid of some guinea pigs. Since I've been wanting guinea pigs for a while and was planning to get some in a few months (and it was my birthday) we went ahead and got those two.

I know I need to trim their nails. What I read said you should use small cat nail clippers (whatever their called). My sister has a canary so we already have nail clippers for him. What I'm wondering is if it's okay to use his for the guinea pigs.
I will try to get a picture of them soon so you can see exactly what I'm talking about. They're basically just little scissors.

Canaries are sensitive to just about everything so I can't think of a reason that nail clippers intended for them would hurt a guinea pig. I just thought it'd be a good idea to get someone else's opinion about it before I did.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. :)

Thanks for the help guys!

I use bird clippers to trim my pigs' nails. They look the same but are smaller than cat clippers and are perfect size for guinea pig nails. I tried dog & cat clippers but prefer bird clippers.

@Kelsie I have no idea what breed he is. But he is adorable! His name is puff and he's yellow with two little green spots. :)
I love having him. I play flute, and he loves to sing along with me when I practice. It's really wonderful. I found it an awful lot of fun to play around with different styles of music to find his favorites. (he's the only bird I've ever known to like country lol)
@pinky Okay! I think I'll probably be using them then. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.