Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can I put male and female guinea pigs together

peachypig

Cavy Gazer
Can someone help me im a new guinea pig owner and i was wondering if it was ok if i put a male and female guinea pig in one cage do you guys think they will fight or not get along with each other.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
No, it's not okay. If you do that she will get pregnant which can be very dangerous and possibly deadly. Get two males or two females instead.

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
Definitely don't unless you want babies! You could get the male neutered if you had two you really wanted to try to put together but there are risks with surgery of course.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They won't fight, but they'll breed. Pregnancies are very hard on guinea pig sows and the pups, and the death rate for both is high. It's been less than a month since one user on here lost all the pups and the sow from a pregnancy.

Guinea pigs also are susceptible to several horrible, painful genetic diseases that can't be cured. Please do not breed your pigs.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
If you absolutely must put male and female together you need to get your male neutered and wait at least a month for him to be sterile. If you put them in unaltered (both able to reproduce) you will end up with a pregnant sow. It only takes a second. <br>Unless you want to risk losing your girl (and the babies, since as bpatters said its a very tough pregnancy) I wouldn't do it. <br>Please do not breed your guinea pigs

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.