Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Can guinea pigs survive without Timothy Hay?

Ping Leong Li

Cavy Slave
I have tried different brands of Timothy Hay but my pigs hate it, they only eat the "soft" part and never eat the "hard" part.
I tried to give them Orchard Grass Hay which is very soft and they like it a lot, they always finish everything.
Should I keep giving them Timothy Hay? Thanks!

I believe as long as they have hay at all times they should be fine. I've heard orchard grass is good for those that don't like Timothy.

Yes Orchard Grass Hay is a perfectly acceptable alternative to Timothy. What they need is grass hay, Timothy just happens to be the most common type of grass hay in the US.

Mine are the same way. And I can't really blame them because timothy seems to have a lot more straw-like pieces than orchard. The only thing my pigs miss about timothy is the flower heads.

Mine are the same way. And I can't really blame them because timothy seems to have a lot more straw-like pieces than orchard. The only thing my pigs miss about timothy is the flower heads.
my pigs are exactly same but I heard Timothy hay can trim their teeth because it's harder

Guinea pigs need a long strand grass hay. The most common types are timothy, orchard, meadow, blue and brome. You can feed any of those without problems.

I agree with all the above. Mine also hate Timothy but love Blue grass so that's what mine are fed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.