Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage stand recommendation

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
Can anyone recommend a stand that's 86 in? Be it a table or some other thing. Currently I have a 2x5 stacked cage on a bed frame that was perfect length, but I want to expand at least another grid size so that would bring it to 86 and I am having extreme difficulty finding both that and of course the width of 30. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Here's the space that I'm trying to do for reference. And then after that I have to build the cage above to have the same thing.

And yes I've tried the make your own grid one. But that one and I do not get along.
cageref.png

Last edited:

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I have my 2x7 on 2 folding tables. However for a stacked cage, I'd be concerned that would make the top level too high too reach. Have you considered building something?

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking of getting rid of the stand idea completely. The only reason I have it is to have room to put my cage liner setups under (liners, side liners, potty pads, tunnels, cuddle cups/sacks, etc). If I can figure out how to store all that, I wouldn't need to have a stand, and it would make it a lot easier.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm thinking of getting rid of the stand idea completely. The only reason I have it is to have room to put my cage liner setups under (liners, side liners, potty pads, tunnels, cuddle cups/sacks, etc). If I can figure out how to store all that, I wouldn't need to have a stand, and it would make it a lot easier.
If you had room for a standing, portable wardrobe, that would likely fit the bill to a T.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Could you use two short tables or file drawers on each end with a sheet of plywood on top? Plywood is 48” x 96” and the 3/4” is sturdy. Or 2 or 3 prefinished shelves, depending on how deep they are. Then you’d still have some storage space underneath and you’d be able to take it all down for cleaning or to move it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I used two Ikea square tables, about two feet high. You might need to put a piece of plywood on top of it to stabilize it. I didn't do that, but my cage was made of closet shelving, and was very stable without needing another base.

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
@Guinea Pig Papa That would be great. It would be even better if I could have a little wheel around wardrobe for pig stuff.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to play with the closet today and see if I can move stuff around/condense/ maybe get rid of some things. If not, the plywood sounds like the best bet. I would have left the cage alone, but my new guy, who I still have to bond with the older one, has the serious serious zooms, and I want to give him as much space as possible, and if they do bond and end up in one cage, more room the better, even if it's just a bit more.

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
Managed to find a way where I can store everything I need, and now I can put the cage on the floor. My next question is, instead of using grids for the ceiling to balance the other cage, can I use shelf wiring? Or are there any links to cages like that? I would keep the grids for everything else, other than the top cages lid which is the only part that has shelf wiring right now. Here are the photos of the cage now. I want to expand both of the 2x5's a grid (I guess that would make them a 2x6), and on the top cage, add a narrow loft.

If i need to start another thread for this, let me know, thanks. Both cages right now have the piggy patios (held by the support rods). The bottom cage will keep that, but I'd like to do the loft on the top cage.

20240115_205921.jpg
20240115_205932.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In the photo gallery, there are dozens of pictures of cages with shelves as part of the cage -- tops, bottoms, sizes, whole cages. I never had anything other than a cage made out of shelving.

gpihgos

Cavy Slave
I love your cage! I personally keep it on the floor, but it looks like ours might be a bit more unsteady. I would get a nice steady shelf made of wood or something like that so you can put things underneath

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can make the grid stands so that they're very sturdy. You just need to zip-tie all the corners cross-wise, and use the black sockets if you have them.

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
Ended up taking everything apart, putting it on the floor, and making a whole new one. Have a grid wall up because they haven't bonded fully yet, but at least they can rumble at each other and nibble if they do.

Screenshot_20240320_152203_Kasa.jpg