Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Cage size?

Willmunny

Cavy Slave
Just a quick but important question, my local rescue has two male guinea pigs up for adoption but before I go ahead could someone confirm whether my set up is appropriate...

The dimensions are 2.5ft (77cm) x 6.1ft (185cm), its a C&C cage by the way.

According to my maths it works out over 15ft squared...will this be big enough?

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Yes, it's alright. It's just a bit bigger than a 2x5 (28in.x70in.). A 2x5 is actually the minimum for a pair of females, and a 2x6 for males. However, some male pairs get along just fine in a 2x5. Others need much more space. See how it goes; if they start squabbling, you might want to consider extending the cage a bit.

Karleen Garcia

Cavy Slave
@CavyTV according the guinea pig cages website, I thought a 2x4 is preferred for 2 piggies and the bare minimum is a 2x3? I built a 2x4 because that's what was preferred according to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lissie

Cavy Slave
@CavyTV according the guinea pig cages website, I thought a 2x4 is preferred for 2 piggies and the bare minimum is a 2x3? I built a 2x4 because that's what was preferred according to it.

That is correct. However, if you have space for a larger cage, go with the larger one.

Males do need more space than females.

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Huh. I always thought it was a 2 x 4 for females and a 2 x 5 for males.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave

Yes, but the reason many people recommend at least a 2x5 for females and at least a 2x6 for males is because that's what seems to work best. More people have better luck bonding males in a cage that's at least a 2x6 if not bigger and a 2x5 or larger for females. If you really think about it, a 2x4 or a 2x3 is not that big at all, especially for more than one guinea pig. However, you can try to house 2 females in a 2x4 and males in a 2x5, but just keep in mind that you might encounter problems.

In my personal opinion, I think giving guinea pigs as much space as possible is necessary. Even if it is above the minimum requirements. Yes, a 2x3 or a 2x4 is bigger than your average petstore cage, but the rule will always be that a bigger cage is better. I know some people might think otherwise, but to me, 2x3 and 2x4 cages don't offer enough space/freedom for guinea pigs, even if it is just one.

Willmunny

Cavy Slave
I could potentially upgrade to a 2x6 if I put it at the other end of the room, the problem there is one end of the cage would be near a vent in the wall and the other end would be close to a radiator, the cage itself would then be underneath a window. The vent is basically only a hole in the wall that leaves air from the outside in so I could put a board across it to stop any drafts, would it be worth the upgrade on account of the vent and radiator?

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Definitely. Your pigs would appreciate the space.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.