Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage cage question

atrix

Cavy Slave
So I'm getting my first piggy and i was wondering about the size im thinking of.

My Guinea Pig Cage - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

But it would have to be 2.5X2.5 due to my space restrictions (cant ahve the cage on the floor)

please let me know if that would be to small or an appropriate size

(no that is not my picture i found it on the site)

Last edited by a moderator:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the site.

2.5 x 2.5 is too small.

Also, pigs are social creatures and do far better in pairs or herds than alone.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Yes, that is too small.

Could you use grids to make a base for a larger cage? You would then be able to have the cage off the ground and could use the space below the cage for storage.

If you can't make the cage any bigger, I would look into different kinds of pets that may be better suited to your situation. Gerbils and hamsters do not need as much space as a guinea pig. Two guinea pigs (you need to have at least two) should really have at least 10.5 square feet on a single level available to them. This is because guinea pigs like to run laps. They also get along better if they have enough space to get away from each other at times.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
You know, on second thought, 2.5x2.5 grids is approximately the same size as a 2x3. However, it's not ideal for two pigs, and you really need to have a least two because they are social creatures that really benefit from the company of a companion of like kind.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Are you trying to place the cage on a desk or table? You can use grids on the bottom to brace the cage and it can hang over enough to give you three grids rather than 2.5.

2.5x2.5 is approximately 8.4 square feet, and a 2.5x3 would get you to just 10.15 square feet, which is almost the preferred size for 2 pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.