Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cage question

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I'm horrible at figuring out 3D shapes, but I was wondering, how many grids would you use if you were making a 2x4, two story with a roof?

I just found grids at Big W and have been figuring out stuff, now im at cost, and how many packs I need, but everytime I count (3 times), I come up with a diff number

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
And sorry about the typos, and chat speak, I was just so excited I wasn't thinking straight. Of course, that implies that at some stage in my life so far I have thought straight, which is a rather funny concept for me.

Pinny Gigs

Cavy Slave
I have a two storey 2x4:

100_0509.jpg

100_0514.jpg

It used (wait a second while I count!) 47 grids.
4 at each end = 8
8 on each side = 16
8 on the roof = 8
7 on the first floor = 7
one on each of the bottom corners to kep it on the desk = 4
2 at the top of the ramp = 2
two for the ramp itself = 2
----------------------------

Hope that helps!

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Thanks, I'm making two seperate cages, one for two male pigs, and one for a neutered boar and two females. (The grids that I've found are 40cm, so it ends up being only 7 cm shorter than a 2x5 or something)

I was going to buy 4 packs, so I'll easily have enough, as that is 48 grids. Just have to convince Dad, and clean out my room. It's my birthday later this week, and I was planning on getting a wireless adapter for my laptop, but as long as he says yes, I'm going to spend the money on the grids (I don't need Coroplast, as we've got about 30m of leftover Lino from when we built the house)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Aertyn, measure the inside holes on those grids since they are larger than the ones we get here in the US. If the inner squares (holes) are larger than 1 1/2" then you may need to make your correx walls high so that piggie heads don't get stuck. Safety is a huge issue dear.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Pinny Gigs - LOVE your cage. The first picture I was thinking "Well how do you get the pigs out?", then I saw the second and went "Oooooh, I see". Great design! The more cages I see on here the more simple and boring mine looks!

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I will Ly, mum and I are movning everything around in my room today (as soon as I clean my floor) The boys will be in the spare room, they are not in the main thoroughfare of the house, but at least they are inside and warm, the other pigs will be in my room. Can't wait, and I will measure the holes, we have a bucket load (a lot of) of Linoleum, so it isn't really an issue. I was going to make them higher than the six inches, I was thinking about 8-9 to stop any flying poo from getting behind the cage. We are going up on Monday to put them on Lay-By, so that on Friday/Saturday I can go up and know they are there. But we are going to look at Bunnings to see if they have any that are White. And to see if they have zip ties, would they be in the gardening section?

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Well, mum and I worked on dad all yesterday, and we've got him down from a definate NO!, to (this is his only reason now), what about the corners? Wouldn't they leak.

I'll break him by today, if it's the last thing I do :D

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
I have the grids from Bunnings and they aren't powdercoated. I'm still working on how to stop the piggies eating the plastic covering off them. Underneath theres this really ugly rust coloured metal.

If the Big W grids have OK sized holes I would get them. If it helps also the Bunnings ones are $8.50 for a pack of 5. Bunnings only stock white ones and every time I've been they only have 2 or 3 packs so you have to keep going back to get enough for a decent sized cage.

Just my opinion

Emma

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Bunnings and Big W are across the road from each other where I live, so we have to go to Bunnings anyway, to get a bug killer, so I will have a look and see if they have any grids. I really liked the ones at Big W though, mum doesn't like the fact that they are multi-coloured. But I can make the cage, so only the green and blue ones can be seen (which match my room colours), and put the red and yellow on the back and the side that can't be seen.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.