Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Cage Help Please!

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
I'm re-designing my C&C, as it's only a 2 x 3 for 2 girls (it's only what I could manage at the time) and I am addicted to swapping shapes and designs! :p That being said, I'm a bit stuck. I need a big cage, as I'm hoping to adopt again. And, I would love storage space underneath. And maybe a few lofts. lol So, my question is, what design should I go for? I'm ordering more grids, so I'll have 40 and sourcing big correx sheets instead of the little ones I get from my local DIY shop. Any ideas will be great! I do have SketchUp, but it's quite tricky for me.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Whats the biggest you can go for the main level? (Of course if you'll be adopting another girl then it'd have to be at-least a 2x4)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
This is what I will be giving my girls:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361736226.764211.jpg

I only have two sows at the moment But I will be getting a third sow in April. Hopefully I will be getting a fourth pig (boar-neutured) too! :D it going to be the equivalent to a 2x10. :D

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
It's going to be against a wall, so I can at least do a 3x6. Or I could make an L shape!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
C&C cages 3 wide or more are the best! (My personal piggies *so not the ones in the rescue* have a 4x6 for a trio and a 3x5 for my other trio)

But if you want storage which I'm guessing will be under it then it will be really hard to clean unless you have 3 of the sides clear to stretch into the middle of the cage ...even then I'd still find it really hard reaching to the back and in the middle.

If it wont be on the floor then I'd do the longest 2 wide cage possible...and 2 wide L shape would be good. Unless you're planning to make a wooden bass you can go into it.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
The reason I wanted storage was for space to put food, hay, toys etc. and I have a mad cat who might eat them if he had the chance! :D I think my best bet would be a L shape, but I have a radiator where the turn would go. I think I would be able to add at least 3 grids, so I'm thinking a 2x7 or 8 L shape. @YourSoJelly I love your cage!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
@Abbie Lauren, thank you! I can't wait until I can build it! I will be adding shelves for my piggy stuff above the cage! :D

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I didn't want to start another one for the same subject. My room has finished being painted, and now I have a whole wall to put the piggies cage by. They are currently in a playpen in the dining room. Now, my question is, I don't know what type of cage to build. I want to make a C&C, but I don't like the black grids. I prefer white or grey. (I know, I'm picky!) Does anybody have any reviews on them?
The second thing is, buying more grids and coroplast is very expensive. I could build an alternative cage though I'm just looking through my options. Any ideas?

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I have both black & chrome/grey grids. The grey/metal grids are far easier to deal with as they don't have the extra thickness of paint on them, and the color will obviously not chip/get chewed off. I thought something was wrong when my black grids arrived & I had to use tools to get them into the connectors tightly enough.

Search for "wire cubes" on ebay.co.uk or possibly amazon, there are many white ones there.
Unfortunately I don't know where grey grids are sold, though mine were from a UK C&C seller a few years back.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
I agree with the black grids, mine have already been chewed and the paint is coming off. I'm definitely searching for metal grids, or an alternative grid/playpen. Could you show me a picture of your current cage? Sorry, I need some inspiration! @HannibalLecter

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I currently have a 2x8 L shaped cage, hay on fleece was driving me mad so I added a 2x3 kitchen area.
Quite happy with the set up, but the girls seem to have completely forgotten that they have a 2x5 section & are happily spending most of their day in the 2x3.

photo_1_5.JPG

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
Wow, your cage is amazing! I'm thinking a 2x5 with a 2x2 kitchen area add on, but the coroplast would cost me about £60 for it. I might have to go with an expanded MidWest.

AussiePiggies

Cavy Slave
I have black grids and love them! With the cage in the loungeroom it looks much better (fits in visually better) and I find them much easier to see through to sneakily see what my piggies are up to from the lounge LOL. Haven't had any paint chipping issues but I bought mine in Australia so perhaps they are finished differently.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Wow, your cage is amazing! I'm thinking a 2x5 with a 2x2 kitchen area add on, but the coroplast would cost me about £60 for it. I might have to go with an expanded MidWest.

Yeah the coro prices here in Europe are insane.
The regular sized Midwest cost around £50-55 in the uk last time I checked, so if you need two Midwest cages it might not be that much of a difference from a C&C if you plan to put it directly on the floor.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
Hmm, I found a MidWest for £44, I might look in to it.
I'm selling my old hutch and pet store cage so that will at least get me £40+. I'm thinking of different options, mostly a C&C, though I will have to buy more grids. I've only got 10 at the moment, and another 10 is £30. How I wish I live in the USA! Although, if I did get the MidWest, I will definitely expand it with my current grids.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.