Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Building Tips Needed: Help with Lid?

C&K

Cavy Slave
Ok, the great news is, I got DH to agree to the larger cage *YAY!* and we got our first pack of grids today. Again, *YAY!*

They are a Rubbermaid brand, only thing is, I don't seem to have enough connectors. I am using a type of tye I found in some car kit that DH had, so I am only missing 4 connectors, but have used a tye instead. Seems to be working.

Best part is, it is a 2x4 cage! I found the room to make it work! We are only building one level this week, but plan to add every two weeks to help absorb the cost. I think the next step will be coroplast, next will be storage room underneath, then we will look at building another story or loft.

Only problem is, we have a cat, and I need to figure out a way to close in the top, but still leave it accessable for getting the pigs out. Any advice or suggestions? Anyone have pictures of this sort of thing? I have a hard time just surfing the gallaries with dialup, so if I could be pointed in the right direction, I would much appreciate it!

Thank you;

Amanda

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Many people use wire shelving. The type you mount at the top of closets. I use grids right now, but the lid sags alot with my 3X6 even with a divider.

You can get wire shelves at Home Depot and Rona. You can also probably get them at Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire and Home Hardware, but you can most likely get them cut in store at Home Depot and Rona. I live in an apartment and own no tools so that is very important.

C&K

Cavy Slave
thanks Sabriel, I did see a one photo like this when I went to the Cavy Cages site again after posting... I think I am going to consider it, but now that my 1 1/2 year old has just come home, I have realized I have an even bigger problem... I need to baby proof it because he is climbing in to become one with the guinea pig! (I had Barbie in the cage).

*sigh* Now I am not sure what I am going to do with him, I don't really have room for a table where it is... Maybe if I build it up he will not be able to get in... Can't knock him, he is just very excited!

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I would go with a shelving lid then. A grid one is very unstable. But it will do for me untill I get more funds.

C&K

Cavy Slave
I think I am going to do just that Sabriel... I am planning on making a second story loft, I think I am going to build the loft 4 grids long x only one deep, along the back, and then I can put a shelving unit along the top of the bottom story, and along the top of the top story so I have good access to both. Only I am going to have to raise the cage off the ground, because my son and maybe my daughter are going to get the brainiac idea that it is a stair case! I wanted to raise it with storage compartments underneath, but I am reconsidering a table. I have a table that would fit in the basement, but it is our downstairs computer table. *sigh*. I am not sure I would have taken pigs on, or at least convinced DH to go along with it if we knew it was going to be this much work.

That said, it is a lot of fun, and we all really enjoy them, so I don't regret it, I just think I would have gotten scared if I knew everything we where going to be facing.

I have my eyes on a third pig though, afterall, if you have 2 already, how much work can one more of the same sex be?

(broken link removed)=

C&K

Cavy Slave
The only other type of lid I was thinking about was some sort of plastic sheeting? I am not using wood chips anymore and the grid sides will vent, has anyone done this? Also what about just using Coroplast as a lid? I am not too familiar with the material yet, would that work?

Also, does anyone know about some sort of box that is used as a storage bin that apparently was sold at Home Depot that can be used instead of Coroplast? I read about it on the materials sheet, it was said it cost $13.00, fit a 2x4 grid cage perfectly, its intended purpose was to slide under a bed? Are they still available?

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I use the shelving on both my boys and my girls cages. I have cats and dogs so I needed the tops covered. The shelving works very well. Cats or dogs have not gotten in and the pigs feel very secure.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Cavies-and-Kids said:
Also what about just using Coroplast as a lid? I am not too familiar with the material yet, would that work?
Hmmm...get another sheet of coro, score and fold it into a slightly larger tray that will fit over/around the top of the walls of the cage? That could work. Like you said, there is a ton of ventilation through the grids. It's still pretty light though, so you might want to punch holes in the sides and possibly cable-tie it in a couple places to the cage, so cat/dog/kid (whatever) can't get it off.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave

C&K

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

I am working a few things out in my head, but it is nice to see pictures as a referance...

Happy Thanksgiving :)

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
The bigger it gets the floppier a grid lid gets. Grid lids work great for 2X4s and 3X3s but I would not reccomend one for a 3X6 or bigger.

I like the whole lid to open so I can sit in my cage (one of the reasons I made it so big) Maybe that's why it's so floppy.

I cringe when my cat walks across my lid.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.