Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Cage Biting and Staring

ovoflores

Cavy Gazer
I own two guinea pigs they are both male, Dinero and Money. I have had them for the past 2 years and they are not entirely bonded. When placed together they chase each other and wave their bottoms and rumble at times. They are not entirely incompatible because at one point they lay down next to each other and sometimes sleep together. When I place them in their cage ( a C &C cage, they have a divider right in the middle) they teeth chatter as well as chase each other and again once they are tired they stop and lay next to each other. They like being showered together and it is clear to me that Money is the boss but Dinero always annoys him at times. If one cant see the other they cry and look for each other. They have a love/hate relationship. I divide them with a divider because I am concerned about leaving them alone and they have been living like this for the past years. Money is the piggie who is showing odd behavior. Dinero minds his business and eats and at times sleeps next to the divider to be able to sleep with Money but at times Dinero likes to sleep in his little house or go drink water. Money at any time he feels like it begins to stare at Dinero for a long time and then bites the divider non-stop. He has plenty of hay and things to chew on. I don't understand why he bites the cage so much and even when Dinero comes to lay with him or just sits next to him Money continues to bite the cage.

Someone have any ideas as to why?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Cage Bitting and Staring

They want to be together. Either put them in a large enough cage and let them work it out, or put a plexiglass divider down the middle divider so Money can't bite the bars.

Rumblestrutting and chasing and mounting are perfectly normal, and are not sufficient reasons to separate them unless one is being harassed to the point that he's losing weight. All hideys should have at least two doors so no pig can get trapped. And the cage needs to be about 11-12 square feet so they've got enough room to get around with getting in each other's faces. You can break up the lines of sight by hanging fleece so they can't always see each other.

And I don't know what you are expecting in the way of "fully bonded." It means nothing. Some pigs are so attached that they wheek and squeal when the other pig is out of the cage. I guess you could so those are "bonded." But many others exists for their whole lives, sharing the same cage but never snuggling or sharing a hidey. Are they any less bonded? Who knows. But they're living happily in the same cage. And for what it's worth, I've never had two pigs that snuggled and slept in the same hidey.

ovoflores

Cavy Gazer

You do have a point there, I have been wanting to remove the divider for some time now because you are right they are happy living next to eachother. I will give it a try.
I do have one question if they teeth chatter should I also allow that?

Sofia claire

Cavy Slave

You do have a point there, I have been wanting to remove the divider for some time now because you are right they are happy living next to eachother. I will give it a try.
I do have one question if they teeth chatter should I also allow that?
Teeth chattering is something you may hear daily and it's fine, chasing isn't bad either unless blood is drawn and one can't eat or drink water.:) I'd try them together again:)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

You separate them if there's frank bleeding. Tooth chattering doesn't count.

But don't just take the divider out. Do full introductions, and put them back in a thoroughly cleaned cage that smells nothing like either pig. Here's how to do the introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

ovoflores

Cavy Gazer

Thank you for your help I will do a proper introduction soon. I will update you when I can.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.