Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage addition

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Even though I love my guinea pigs cage, I was thinking of getting rid of the grid base and build two 3 x 4 levels. So the main cage they have now would be on the floor where the base is and that level would be the bedroom/rest area, etc and the top would be kitchen, play, etc area. However with something this big, I'm not sure the best way to do it. Please take a look at the below picture and let me know your ideas and suggestion as all feed back would be appreciated.

CAM00203.jpg

Last edited:

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Hi again ;)
My thoughts ;
-Putting the cage on the floor would make it harder to clean, meaning you'd be bending over a lot.
-The pigs might see you as a huge giant, making them feel scared
- Putting another 3x4 on top, Im not sure how easy it would be to clean it..
- Also putting the cage on the floor might make it open to drafts, and piggies should be near a drafty area
Other than that, yeah :D

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Even though I love my guinea pigs cage, I was thinking of getting rid of the grid base and build two 3 x 4 levels. So the main cage they have now would be on the floor where the base is and that level would be the bedroom/rest area, etc and the top would be kitchen, play, etc area. However with something this big, I'm not sure the best way to do it. Please take a look at the below picture and let me know your ideas and suggestion as all feed back would be appreciated.

View attachment 61667

I wouldn't do it, they have enough space. I would redo the base, I have a double grid base( love It!), it gives a ton of storage. If you want the kitchen to keep the hay and food mess in. Make a Piggy patio and clip it to one of the corners. If you make it 2-3 inches high, they should have no problem jumping over or use a fiddle stick as a ramp. Easy to remove to for cage changes. a 28x28 with low sides keeps their mess in ( use wood pellets ) and they can still run laps in and through it.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Wait, @lunarminx ...Im confused about your 'redo the base' lol sorry im a visual person, do you happen to have a picture of what that would look like? It seems interesting ;)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Wait, @lunarminx ...Im confused about your 'redo the base' lol sorry im a visual person, do you happen to have a picture of what that would look like? It seems interesting ;)

Even better, here's a link of the stands, go through the links and see how all the various stands are built.

(broken link removed)

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Oh I see LOL. surprisingly this is how my mom (Piggie buddy <3) and I first were going to do the cage. Then we decided it would be really small for the 3 boars lol. But thank you for the picture :D I love your cage

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
I've decided to leave as is. Thanks for all your feedback. ~

Traysea

Cavy Slave
All the grids that I can see in the stand are unsafe, so either way you will need to get more grids. I would open the front of the stand up so you can use it for storage and if you want to build up then you need to use supports to run across the cage to hold it up but frankly with all the room you have I would just go out another 1-2 grids wide and use it as a kitchen area so you wouldn't even need to replace all your coroplast, only run a bridge between the new kitchen and the existing cage. That would be much cheaper, easier to build and easier to clean.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.