Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Bullying or Dominance?

Queen.anirbaS

Cavy Slave
I got Lizzie on the 27th of December and Nibbler on the 15th of January (both are female). Lizzie will kick Nibbler out of a hideout even if Lizzie is in a different hideout, she would also steal food right out of Nibblers mouth. Yesterday, she basically attacked Nibbler and then she started squealing and rubbing her bum against the ground and then she did this weird twitchy thing. After that, she hid in a dark corner and didn't move. Actually, right now, there's quite a bit of tension between them while they are on floor time. The weird thing is though, Nibbler always follows Lizzie into the same hideout. I don't know what is going on here, if this is classic dominate behaviour or if I should be worried. I am a new pig owner, so please help!

Hitosorai

Cavy Slave
Ok well in my experience, two of my older pigs did that and just never solved their differences they just didn't like each other. However you should take nibbler out and give him a seperate cage in a seperate room for a while to lowert tension, then you are ment to take them to neutral groud, i.e. lap time and introduce them. Lizzie is being protective and dominant to what I know I suspect someone else will supply greater information than I have shortly.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Heat, most likely. It happens about every 14-16 days, and lasts for a day or so. If it lasts longer than that, like a week or more, you need to have a good vet evaluate her for ovarian cysts.

If your hideouts only have one entrance to them, then take them out and replace them with something that has at least two. You don't want one pig to be able to trap the other in a hidey. You can make hideys out of towels clipped in the corners, or fleece draped from a grid, or boxes with holes cut in the ends and the bottoms cut out.

Hitosorai

Cavy Slave
But @bpatters they just got the one who's being picked on a couple days ago and they are already together, isn't that why?

LillyPiggy

Cavy Slave
I have two piggies, a mother and daughter. It sounds like they do kind of that same thing once in a while. One will slowly follow the other one into a hidey house and they'll make this weird noise and walk really slow, rocking their body back and forth. I have found, at least with mine, that they must kind of argue like humans do. They have a little disagreement and torment eachother like that for a day and they are good for another few weeks until they have another disagreement. I was told though not to separate them unless blood is drawn. But I think it's really up to the owner and what they feel is right.

Queen.anirbaS

Cavy Slave
First thing I thought of was to make sure there are holes in the hideouts haha. but ovarian cysts? are you serious? :'(

Queen.anirbaS

Cavy Slave
I was told though not to separate them unless blood is drawn. But I think it's really up to the owner and what they feel is right.
I'll wait and continue to observe their behaviors before i seperate them. Nibbler is still very young, shes only about 4 or 5 weeks old (I think) so I'm sure she is still just really nervous to be in a new surrounding and is unaware of what is actually going on. Thanks for the help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.