Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Broken Toenail Treatment?

mochaoreos

Cavy Slave
My piggy Oreo has just broken a nail! I'm not sure how, but I always keep them trimmed. It seems as it has just ripped completely out, quick and all. Bled quite a bit, but it has stopped now. When I noticed what had happened, I immediately cleaned the blood and made sure her other nails were intact. I also put the affected foot in a hot water and salt soak to attempt to disinfect it. I would go to the vet but it is very late right now, and honestly I don't think they could do much as the nail is totally gone. Any suggestions on what else I can do/if I should take her to the vet? This has never happened to any of my other pigs!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would just watch very carefully for any signs of infection -- swelling, redness, heat, pus, etc. If you see any of those, get her to a vet for an oral antibiotic. Unfortunately, you can't put an antibiotic cream on her foot because she'll just lick it off.

Also, keep the cage very clean until it's totally healed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.