Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Broken Leg?

Guilt finally clicked in and I called the vet(s) this morning.
After a phone conversation both agreed that it is probably a sprain--which happened to one of the vet's personal guinea pigs--and is likely not serious.
However--just to be sure--my boy has an appointment tomorrow morning.
As many here have pointed out, the vet informed me that guinea pigs are very good at hiding pain and they can make him comfortable.
Thanks for all of the feed back/advice.

Just a side note. I am going to assume the same is for animals just like humans. If it was broken and depending on the bone if its not set pretty quick within 24 hours they could have to rebreak it to set it properly.

Well, leg not broken but a bad sprain.
He is on pain meds plus has to live in a separate cage away from his friend for 2 weeks--then a return vet visit.
Both cages are side by side but he other one keeps trying to lure him out to play.
What is the best way to keep the injured pig's spirits up until he is allowed to re join his buddy???

Keep him with his cage mate. Separating them will only add more stress to the whole issue. In my experience, with my own sprains, I found movement helped me recover faster. However, if something hurts, the animal may not be inclined to "bite the bullet" like people do. I'd still keep him with his cage mate. I really see no benefit of separating them.

Glad to say all is well.

Just a sprain.
One week of medication and 2 weeks alone time in a separate
cage did the trick.

Yay! I'm happy to hear everything is okay!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.