Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Bringing new baby home

BFGuru

Cavy Slave
I am meeting someone to adopt a 5 week old Thursday. I couldn't get her in to the vet until the following Wednesday so I know she will need quaranteened until at least then.

I sort of feel bad though and wpuld have taken her sister had she not already been placed. She is currently with 2 other sows and will be placed alone until quarantine is over.

So...my questions are...how to keep her happy until introductions and how to insure she gets enough calcium while avoiding giving it to the other two since one of my girls is prone to spilling calcium.

Also tips for bonding. I've already committed in my mind I am open to a fourth should she end up being the 3rd wheel. But I would like to make inyroductions as smooth as possible. I know neutral ground for everyone. Anything else I can do?

If you're just getting her, it's best to have the cage all set up beforehand because she will need time to adjust to her new surroundings. This could be a few days to a week.

I'm not sure about the calcium though. When I had a baby with another adult, I would mix the young adult guinea pig food with the adult guinea pig food since I couldn't figure out a proper way to do that.

As for bonding, you already got the idea since you know to start in a neutral area. I would just add that a thorough cage cleaning be done and that everything (from food dishes to hidey huts) be changed or moved around from the usual location in the cage. I believe this helps with territory since all of them would feel as if they are in a new cage.

Good Luck!

I have a separate cage for now that I will keep in another room. It's a pet store cage but a larger one. Not quite the best but she is tiny and for a week or two it should be ok.

I'd go ahead and put her with the other pigs unless she's really been in awful conditions where she's likely to have parasites. Lonely babies are pitiful.

Just take her out of the cage a couple of times a day and give her a sprig of parsley.

She looks well cared for in the pic. I want the vet to look her over to be safe though and to double check the sexing. Don't need pregnant piggies.

I'd go ahead and put her with the other pigs unless she's really been in awful conditions where she's likely to have parasites. Lonely babies are pitiful.

I certainly agree. This is probably the first time she has been away from her family and will be lonely and terrified. In my case, I knew where they came from and had no hesitation about putting my babies together.

Well be orepared for shots of the goods then. I want to make sure she is indeed a she before I introduce them.

Just had another thought. I literally just exoanded the cage 2 months ago. If that long ago. My coroplast walls are 6 inches. I believe this is too short for a 6 week old correct? If I pulled my fleece up and over the grids (it's wide enough) instead of just the plastic would that be sufficient or am I literally buying more and rebuilding the base tonight?

My coroplast walls are 6 inches. I believe this is too short for a 6 week old correct?

Your statement seems completely counterintutive to me!?? I have always used 6 inch walls for all my cavy cages, adult or babies. How could a 6 in. side be too short? My adult boys have to stand on their hind legs to even reach the top of the walls. You may need to adjust the grids, but not the size of the base.

If the babies can come in contact with grids anywhere in your cage, then you may want to add grids and stagger them so that the openings are only half size. You can also use cardboard to block access to the grids until he babies are old enough and large enough so that their heads won't get caught in the openings.

I remember last time I had mich taller walls with a baby, but the cardboard is an excellent idea! Thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.