Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Brick Staircase

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Has anyone stacked bricks to make a staircase? If so does anyone pics? Would it be a good idea?

Xinaa

Cavy Slave
It seems they would take up ALOT of space. So I would think it would be a bad idea. If your looking for easy ramps, I believe cat scratching posts work fine, Ive seen people use them.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think the bricks would easily tipped over if stacked, potentially hurting/killing your piggy. Nobody wants that! :weepy:

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
I haven't seen bricks used as a staircase on here -I've seen a pigture somewhere of bricks being used as a step between a cage and an extension, it was for an outdoor run and the bricks were very flat thin bricks it was only two levels if my memory serves me correctly. So no, I've not seen one as a staircase. I've also read that someone put bricks around the water feeders to help trim nails and that did work to cut down the trim frequency for clipping nails.

It would be a dicey thing to attempt, but if done carefully and professionally - as in there being absolutely no chance of the piggie getting injured, or the stairs collapsing, then you probably could do it with that choice of material - what railing do you think you might use for it? You'd want a railing to prevent falling accidents.

One plus I could think of for using a solid permanent brick staircase is coolness in summer. But then you'd have a cold issue in winter too. What would you line it with for cleaning? How would you clean it? If they formed a permanent staircase it would be hard to take it outside to wash it down properly...

A provocative question. Two Pro's one coolness and one nail trimming. More Con's to it at first consideration though, safety in several ways, - permanence to prevent collapse, railings, space, coldness in winter, cleaning.

I wonder - has anyone tried this and does anyone have further feedback?

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Yeah Im wondering the same thing. I wanna know if they can or cant be used. I got plenty of cons but plenty of pros also. I dont know what to do...Maybe I could hot glue them ontop and next to one another so they dont tip.

????????

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
I havent seen tht on this website but i use bricks under the water bottle to catch any leaks

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I have a pet store cage attached to my pigs' 2x4. There is a small brick staircase helping them get into the cage, it's three bricks alltogether, first one brick and then two bricks stacked.
I don't think I really understand why you guys think it would be easily knocked over?
If you're attempting this as a way for them to get up to their second level, Xinaa is right it will take up a lot of space, you'd be better off with a bent grid ramp or something.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Hmm...Ok. Thanks guys, I'll toss the idea.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Silverbeat, it was the height up to the second story that popped my caution flag up. It would be a lot of bricks on top of each other, but the hot glue idea Sweetiepig had would stabilise it no worries at all.

Also depends on the type of bricks used, you get those hollowed ones I've seen them stacked one on long side and the next on the short side to provide a "step" for dogs and cats to get into door flaps. Might provide neat cool hidey's for the summer and give a stable base to the smaller pig sized stairs on top?

Let us know what you do come up with Sweetiepig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.