Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Both of my sisters sows may be pregnant

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
We have an area that we seperate so the boy and the girls can each stretch their paws. Well my sister was supposed to be watching the piggies just because it's sows and a boar (seperated but still) and I went in to check on them 2 minutes ago and found the girls in the boars area. how do i know if they got pregnant? like are there signs of him humping them? they are only 2 1/2 months old so it's not good if they are pregnant. I'm kind of freaking out.

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
Their bottom area are dry if that helps anyone come up with an answer to this. I'm just freaked out because they are too young and we can't afford a ton of pigs right now

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
If they were only in there for a few moments, it is really unlikely that they became pregnant. There is only a short window of time (I've heard about 24 hrs, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong) during her cycle where she can become pregnant. On top of that, I've also heard there is only a short window of time within that period that she will accept a male (I think it's like 10 hrs, again correct me if I'm wrong). So the odds are against you that any of them are pregnant. I would separate them NOW and not allow them to be in the same area again, unless a better system in in place to keep them separated.

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
The minute i saw them together i separated them and will NOT let them in the same area for a WHILEEEEEE (until he gets neutered) I remember one of them being on their cycle a week or two ago. I know when one of them are because they will both make the mating call to JJ when they want him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.