Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Boars in divided cage got into a fight

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Sorry for the weird title. I got home from work and I found Maple Leaf (1 yr old) on Trishula's (3-ish) side of the cage. They live in a 2x6 that is split down the middle with 2 grids. They have lived like this since March, because they didn't bond when I got Trishula after Gimbly (Maple Leaf's old brother) died.

I have the grids zip-tied in the middle and they attach to the grid dividers. I'm guessing that Maple Leaf managed to move the grids and get under them, because they were in place and not knocked down. I'm doubting that he climbed over. Both boys are really worked up! Maple Leaf is so upset and puffed up. Trishula would run away when Maple Leaf came to the side of the barriers. I'm guessing they had a fight, however there are no wounds.

I'm trying to come up with a way that I can secure the divider, but still make it easy to remove. On either side of the divider is their 'kitchen' where the hay is and they eat together. I have to change this area (washable pee pad) every day or so, which requires removing the divider. So, zip-tying the dividers to the side of the cage won't work. Is there a better way? Perhaps secure it with a chain or cheap/small padlock?

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They can, will, and do climb. The only way to keep them out of another adjacent cage is to put a lid on at least one of them.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I really hope he didn't climb over, but if that's the case it shouldn't be hard to make a lid or block him off entirely. I could always add a couple more grids to make a full wall since their cage is under a table. I'm home the next 2 days so I'll be watching them, or I may need to set up a camera.

The 2 grids I think he was able to squeeze thru a gap between where the two grids meet in the middle, so I changed up the grids and ziptied them so when they sit in the cage, they are totally flush with sides/bottoms and can't be moved at all. If that makes sense.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
As an update, the bozos are doing better. That day, they couldn't go near the divider without getting angry at each other. Lots of running away, rumbling, teeth chattering. It took them a few hours to relax. Since I changed up the divider, I haven't seen any more attempted break-ins. They are back to eating next to each other and acting like it didn't happen.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I don't believe it. It happened again. I thought I had the barrier all fixed/secured. Maple Leaf (blaming him) got one side loose from a connector and slipped thru. Now I have locks on both sides so even if that happens again, the locks will hold the grids in place. I'm very close to buying 2 2x3 c&c's to keep them side by side in totally separate cages.

Trishula does have a little cut and is very scared and was hiding while Maple Leaf ruled his side of the cage. Otherwise, they seem fine.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.