Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Boar Trio or Pair?

SkyKimimota

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone, I'm back once again! Since I know this forum has plenty of experienced and knowledgeable Guinea pig owners, I wanted to ask--should I try for a trio or a pair?

I'm very conflicted on this matter, I want to try for a trio but I'm worried it'll cause more unhappiness and stress for them than a pair would. One of them has been with me for a couple months, my 8 month old Peruvian Guinea pig named Nemo. The other two are single boars being fostered, one a 7 month old Texel and the other a 3 year old Abysinnian. Shilo (the Texel) has been for adoption the longest of any of the nearby Guinea pigs, even his brother was adopted, so I want to give him a home (I also am interested in having my first curly piggy.) Kisses, the 3 year old, might have a hard time getting a home too, and plus he's out of his more hormonal stage. (Though there is a chance either one may be adopted before I can officially offer to adopt them, I have to wait a week or two.)

Should I give up and just adopt one, or should I try for a trio? When the time comes I'll have enough grids for a 2x6, a 2x5 + a 2x4, or two 2x3 and a 2x4. They'd be able to have side by side cages so they have more time to get used to each other without the danger of fighting, and they'd have a large enough cage for all three.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated, I want a trio but not if it means more danger and stress for all three.

~Sky

Edit: Lol I meant Boar in the title but I guess it'll stay boat! XD

Re: Boat Trio or Pair?

We never recommend that people put boars together as trios. A very few people have succeeded at it, but most don't. I'd say stick with two, or get four and let them live together in two pair sets.

Alright, thank you for the advice :) I've actually had a boar trio before that got along very well, but they'd been together since birth as litter mates so it was probably easier for them.

I'll just settle for a pair then, I don't want them to have to endure constant bickering and fighting when just two could get along better. Unfortunately I can only have a trio or a pair, so I'll have to hope the other I don't inquire about gets a good home. The two I was interested in are being fostered by the same rescue Nemo had been, so I'll trust them with that.

I have a couple more questions I wanted to ask, so instead of making another thread I thought I would post here :)

When picking up the new Guinea pig, would putting Nemo in a box and bringing him with to keep the new one company help them with bonding? I hear in situations where two guinea pigs are nervous, they might cuddle together even if they don't know each other.

Would having them side by side in separate cages help them more than just putting them together right away after being introduced? I have enough grids for two 2x4, but I'm not sure if keeping them separate would be beneficial or harmful to the bonding process.

Any help would be appreciated, I want to make the bonding process as easy as I can for both of them without making it harder ��

No, and no.

Where are you getting this other pig? If it's not from a trusted private home or a reputable guinea pig rescue, you need to quarantine the new one for three weeks in a separate room to avoid giving parasites and/or illnesses to you new pig.

Introductions with pigs is pretty much a "once and done" thing. It doesn't help to put them next to each other, and it definitely doesn't help to put them together and then separate them. Here's the bible on introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.