Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blood in the pee

mimicat

Cavy Slave
I have found that my one of gp's pee with blood mix. However, he still eat alot and no other symptoms occur. no squeaks while pee and so on. After serveral hours, his pee no blood mix inside. I wanna ask, if I bring him to see vet, anything will be see by the vet subject to his bleeding stop? Please advise.

piggylover101

Cavy Slave
mimicat said:
I have found that my one of gp's pee with blood mix. However, he still eat alot and no other symptoms occur. no squeaks while pee and so on. After serveral hours, his pee no blood mix inside. I wanna ask, if I bring him to see vet, anything will be see by the vet subject to his bleeding stop? Please advise.

Your guinea pig may have a bladder stone or bladder sludge. Or a Urinary Tract Infection. You should get your guinea pig to the vet quick. Either of these situations is very painful even if he doesn't show it yet. Get him/her to a vet and quick.

piggylover101

Cavy Slave
What type of pellets are you feeding your piggs? Alfalfa based or timothy based? Bladder stones and sludge are caused by too much calcium. Alfafla hay, and pellets, parsley/fruits and other veggies have too much calcium and should be given in small amounts (alfalfa hay and pellets only given to guinea pigs 0-6 months and pregnant or lactating female guinea pigs).

I am not sure what Urinary Tract Infections are caused by but they sould not be ignored. Both of these illnesses need to be treated by a knowlegeable exotic vet. Very soon. Blood in pee is *never* ever a good sign.
I wish you luck and hope you find out what is wrong.

mimicat

Cavy Slave
I'm wonder why if he has bladder stones and sludge inside, bleeding will not stop so soon. I suspect there is some wound nearby his penis that make him bleeding while pee. Did the vet can found what's of my gp while no bleeding now? Or,bladder stones and sludge have moved other way so that make him no bleed while pee? Also, I feed them with timothy hay based.

mimicat

Cavy Slave
May be I think to have a adjestment of their food list.

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
Oh no! The same thing happend to be me last night! I came home and my Walter had Bloody Urine! I called the animal hospital immediately and they said it was an emergency situation and to take him there ASAP! I brought him in, and they couldn't find evidence of stones, so he's on an antibiotic for a Urinary trac infection. I have to monitor him though because it still could be something else more serious. You should bring your pig into the Vet now, whether or not there's still blood in his urine!

mimicat

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your infomation. I will take him to see the vet immediately. Hope he can get well soon!

Erin8607

Cavy Slave

CactusCavy

Cavy Slave
sofiemuffins said:
Oh no! The same thing happend to be me last night! I came home and my Walter had Bloody Urine! I called the animal hospital immediately and they said it was an emergency situation and to take him there ASAP! I brought him in, and they couldn't find evidence of stones, so he's on an antibiotic for a Urinary trac infection. I have to monitor him though because it still could be something else more serious. You should bring your pig into the Vet now, whether or not there's still blood in his urine!
Aw, poor Walter! (he's a skinny pig, too, right?)

mimicat--my Honey Comb died of an advanced case of bladder stones (he was inheirited) because of alfalfa in his diet when he was adult, so if your pig does have stones, its best to take him to the vet NOW so you can get rid of them ASAP, so it won't continue and become REALLY painful. HC also had blood in urine, though he squeaked when he peed. Have you called yet? When's your appointment? Keep us posted!

~Cactus

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
Yep, Walter is a Skinny...I've been giving him his antibiotics, and I think they're helping. You can still see a small amount of blood in his urine, but if it's not totally gone by tonight I have to bring him back in because it could be a more serious problem. Also I have to call the vet today anyways because yesterday I noticed that he has a calis like thing on his privates area. and this morning I noticed that it was more of like an open sore. I'll keep you guys posted.

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
OMG!!!!!! Poor guy! Please do keep us posted!

~~Cheri~~

Erin8607

Cavy Slave
It'd be wise to have an xray done to check for stones. If there are stones present, and one becomes lodged in his urethra, it can cause quite a bit of damage for boars and sometimes lead to their death if a blockage occurs or if the stone tears the inside of the urethra trying to pass. https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
okay, Update on Walter finally! He was doing better on his antibiotic, but lastnight I noticed there was blood in his urine again! ugh! I'll calling the vet tonight to see what she has to say. =( I hope he's okay!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I hope your pigs are ok! This is very serious, if anyone else experiences this, get the pigs to the vet asap!

mimicat

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
I hope your pigs are ok! This is very serious, if anyone else experiences this, get the pigs to the vet asap!
After see the vet, she said my cavy bleeding may be caused by frighting w/another one. But she find my two cavy have mites ..so poor

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
oh no, mimi! i assume they are already on ivermectin and on the road to recovery. good luck to all of you!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to hear about that; I hope they are better soon!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
keep us posted, mimicat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.