Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Big Bald Spot

chelsemosaurus

Cavy Slave
Our piggie Mr. Sprinkles has lost a large amount of hair on one side of his body. I've spent an hour on guinea lynx and this site looking at hair loss and I haven't found anything that seems to be the culprit... The skin that I can see is clear of scabs, flakes, or redness. He is acting completely normal. He isn't scratching, plus he is eating and playing normally. He was treated for mites a few months ago and everything cleared up and we've been fine since then...
Can this hair loss be normal? Or him "barbering"?

LauraK

Cavy Slave
Is is completely bald, or just thinned out? One of our pigs, Noah, always had a spot of thinned out hair in the middle of his back his whole life. Every time we would scratch his back he would turn around and nibble on that spot. The vet said he was fine, so I don't know if it was a nervous habit or what, but he was a perfectly happy, healthy pig with a little bit of balding on his back :) Just thought I'd share my experience with you!

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Does the patch have any type of definitive shape? Is it like a large round patch?

chelsemosaurus

Cavy Slave
The spot isn't completely bald, just very thinned out. Its not really a definitive shape either. It doesn't look like its getting bigger either.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Can you post a photo of it?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Is is completely bald, or just thinned out? One of our pigs, Noah, always had a spot of thinned out hair in the middle of his back his whole life. Every time we would scratch his back he would turn around and nibble on that spot. The vet said he was fine, so I don't know if it was a nervous habit or what, but he was a perfectly happy, healthy pig with a little bit of balding on his back :) Just thought I'd share my experience with you!

It sounds like your guinea pig has mites and you need to find a better vet.

chelsemosaurus

Cavy Slave
Here is the bald spot. Sorry about the quality my camera isn't the best at taking pictures of the piggies.

LauraK

Cavy Slave
Yeah looks like our pigs have something different. Noah's spot is about quarter size on his back, from him nibbling it and breaking hairs off. That looks like some significant hair loss. Let us know what it is if you find out- best of luck to you!

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
I'm questioning a mite problem. I'd seek a second opinion from a different vet. The pic to the left, his skin appears a little raw. I wouldn't wait on it.

LauraK

Cavy Slave
To rabbitsncavyluv: Just as a clarification, Noah is no longer alive, but he most definitely did not have mites. I had 2 vets opinions, and the lady who runs a HUGE guinea pig rescue here in Colorado (where I got Noah) said that it was not mites. They are all very knowledgeable, and said that it was just something that he did- and it broke of the hairs. It wasn't ever bald, just thinned out, and our other 3 pigs never had that problem either. Based on chelsemosaurus' pictures, our pigs have two very different things, but before I saw the pictures, I wanted to share Noah's experience with them- I wasn't trying to give her advice and tell her that her pig is fine. Thank you for being concerned about Noah though :) Best of luck to chelsemosaurus in getting the issue resolved.

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
That is not normal in the slightest. That is a piggy who is sick. Espcially all that red area. Post on guinea pig lynx with the picture and take your piggy to the vet. Especially if you haven't seen the vet since he gave your piggies the ivermectin.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
Another thought...if he's given another course of ivermectin or revolution and the condition doesn't resolve, I'm wondering if it's an underlying condition...question endocrine disorder, or allergy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.