Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Best way to dispense hay?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I'm kind of stuck as far as dispensing hay in the best way possible. I currently do litter boxes with kiln-dried pine pellets underneath and a big pile of hay on top. It works fine except I feel like I'm wasting so much hay because they pee and poop on so much of it that it has to be thrown away. Hay racks seem not as wasteful, but on the other hand the pigs seem to love being able to bed down in a pile of hay.

I'm considering those hay hammocks from Windespirit/Sewing 4 a Cause/Jens Custom Crafts: (broken link removed). Have any of you tried those?

What do you do to dispense hay for your piggies? What do you like the best? Any and all replies help!

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I use brown paper bags stuffed with hay with holes torn in it and this tumbler from Dr. Fosters Hay & Grass Treats for Rabbits, Bunnies, Rats, Hamsters & Small Pets: Peter's Hay Tumbler.
The tumbler comes with hay but I don't feed it to my boys. I have actually ordered a tumbler that I am going to break down, trace and cut on coroplast. If that works for me I will post info on how to do it.
My boys love the tumbler and it cuts down on excessive hay lose.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I prefer metal hay racks made from bent grids. I feel like the softies may get chewed to bits... or someone's head could get stuck.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Hay rack for sure. The stuff my piggies don't like they lay on and then there is only brown hay wasted. I use this for a rack:(broken link removed)
The hooks go over the top of the grids (you flip it up on end). You will need a piece of coroplast to go where the bottom of the cabinet would be to prevent spillage outside of the cage. Its bigger than a manger style hay rack and my piggies can squish themselves one at a time under the hay rack.

I did the litter box thing too and just didn't like it. I have my hay rack in my kitchen where I have a towel and a piece of fleece. I shake it out twice a day and change it every 5 shakes. I would love to do some sort of other bedding in there but I HATE the mess all over the fleece. Even wood pellets make a mess when they break apart. So I guess I'll just stick to this...

Shivra

Cavy Slave
I use a store bought hay rack, and their litterpan underneath with more hay in that. I also throw a few handfuls in the center of the kitchen which helps keep it away from poo and wee corners. My cage has a 2x2 upper loft that I pretty much fill with hay since I get it by the bale. Having three means there's hardly any waste for me. Maybe cut back on how much you give them daily? I kinda go by if they dont finish it all by the nighttime, it's too much hay. I kindof know exactly how much to give, depending on the veg they get that day as well.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I use a store bought hay rack, and their litterpan underneath with more hay in that. I also throw a few handfuls in the center of the kitchen which helps keep it away from poo and wee corners. My cage has a 2x2 upper loft that I pretty much fill with hay since I get it by the bale. Having three means there's hardly any waste for me. Maybe cut back on how much you give them daily? I kinda go by if they dont finish it all by the nighttime, it's too much hay. I kindof know exactly how much to give, depending on the veg they get that day as well.

They need unlimited hay so you shouldn't really limit their hay or give less.

sd, how about give both? You can put the hay rack above their litter boxes.

I use bent grid hay rack and also give them a small pile to play in. So they always have clean hay available in the rack, and also have some hay to lay on if they want to.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
I bought a wooden box from Michaels craft store for $5.99 and pried the top wooden bar off of one of the sides to make a front opening. It makes a wonderful hay box. Its not big enough for the piggys to get inside to pee and poop and walk around, but its big enough for them to be able to get up in it to much on a big pile of hay :) The sides are high so there is no mess. I think it measures like a foot long by like 8 inches wide or something close to that. Id have to measure it. I have a hanging hay ball rack on one side of it also.
Pic's below...

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/192/hay10.jpg/

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/hay20.jpg/

There was no hay in the hay box or hay ball yet when I took the pics.

Shivra

Cavy Slave
I guess to correct myself, I mean that if you're wasting a good amount of hay, to maybe cut back on it? i always keep my upper rack full but not always in the box or the middle of the cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.