Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Baby born with 2 extra legs

xBlueDaisy

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig gave birth today to two babies one is totally normal,
the other one has two extra limbs where its genitals should be.
I cant see any genitals but the mother is licking it to help go to the toilet still.
Hearing and eyesight seems perfect and its feeding and running around well.
I've called around vets and they said its from incest and that the legs will most
likely fall off since it seems to have no feeling in them. The vets said they
have never heard of anything like it.
Im just worried about it having no genitals and I cant tell if its going to the toilet
and I dont really want to take it away from Momma pig too soon to watch it,
so im not sure if the droppings in the cage is just the other baby.
I cam attach a picture in the morning as babies are asleep.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Im happy once the baby will be ok.

(I know not to breed them, I got her at 8 weeks old already pregnant from an
irresponsible breeder)

I'm sorry the pup is having problems. If it does have genital openings, it may be ok, even with the extra legs. I'd just watch very carefully for the next few hours. Pay particular attention to whether the pup can pee and poop. Weigh it twice daily, morning and evening, and record the weights. It's normal for any new pup to lose a little at the beginning, but by the second or third day, the weight should start going back up.

If the pup has no way to eliminate its body wastes, the kindest thing to do will be to have the vet put it to sleep.

I have found a small hole on the lower back just now, although im not quite sure what it is.
The baby is about 18 hours old now and still seems very lively. Is it too soon to bring the
baby to a vet?

No, it's not too soon. I'm not sure that the vet will be able to do anything, but he probably can tell you whether the pup is eliminating ok.

Let us know what he says. And do post a picture when you have a chance.

It sounds like piggy could be a possible dipygus, which usually presents itself as kind of a double pelvis, with the second pelvis being not as well formed. If the extra legs are receiving blood and everything is functioning well, your piggy will keep his or her extra legs and most likely live a normal, happy life. Though it is very possible that something isn't functioning as it should, so you should definitely get a vet to check your little one out.

Polymelia (extra limbs) isn't common in mammals, but it does happen. It may or may not be a result of inbreeding, or just a quirk of development.

How's the baby?

Yes please keep us informed and also would love to see a picture..

Any updates?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.