Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Babies!

tyanne21

Cavy Gazer
I just found out a couple weeks ago that my lil baby girl Cloee is pregnant. She is due in about 2 weeks, im very excited and nervous. Im going to need all the advice I can get. If anyone can help me with any kind of information on what to expect during and after the birth that would be great.

Hi there, I'm bumping this up for you.

This is exciting! I hope it goes well for you. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with a pregnant guinea pig, but I've seen a lot of people on here that know what they're doing. Hopefully they can poke there head in here and give you all of the information that you need.

Her cage needs to be baby-proofed, and she needs to be getting an extra source of calcium. Once the babies are born, you can handle them as soon as she's done cleaning them up, they're born fully furred with their eyes open and ready to run around. You should be able to accurately sex them by about 2 weeks of age, any male babies need to be separated at 21 days. Females can stay with their mother indefinitely, they should wean themselves off of her milk at 4-5 weeks. The mother needs to keep getting the extra calcium starting from her pregnancy up to when the babies stop nursing, the babies should continue to get extra calcium until they're 6 months old. Good luck!

Thank you very much! I have read a lot of things online, but I felt like maybe I should ask people who have really experienced it just so I could fully understand

I had a litter in May. There isn't much for you to do during birth. If there is a problem you can help, but most goes smooth and mine had hers while I was a work. One was huge and still born the other was up and running around by the time I got home!! Mom will clean up babies and all signs of birth. I have heard of people reviving one that is struggling. Baby proof is right if you have a C&C. They are little for quite some time and can get completely out as a baby and a head stuck as an older baby. Watch closely that first day that mom is nursing. Mine didn't know how to be a mom and would RUN from her baby. So I pulled her and baby out of 2x6 c&c and put them in a store bought cage so she couldn't run and he could nurse. After about 2 days, I put them back and he was starting to eat hay, veggies and pellets at that time too so I wasnt so concern. At 2.5 weeks he started to mount mom and auntie so I introduced him to my cage of big boys and they took to him right away and has been there ever since. It was an accidental pregnancy.
Hope that helps and was what you were looking for.

Her cage needs to be baby-proofed, and she needs to be getting an extra source of calcium. Once the babies are born, you can handle them as soon as she's done cleaning them up, they're born fully furred with their eyes open and ready to run around. You should be able to accurately sex them by about 2 weeks of age, any male babies need to be separated at 21 days. Females can stay with their mother indefinitely, they should wean themselves off of her milk at 4-5 weeks. The mother needs to keep getting the extra calcium starting from her pregnancy up to when the babies stop nursing, the babies should continue to get extra calcium until they're 6 months old. Good luck!

How could they nurse 4-5 weeks when if they are male to be separated at 3 weeks???

Ive had a litter and he nursed for maybe 10 days! He was eating hay, pellets and veggies and drinking from water bottle at 10 days.

The males can only nurse until 3 weeks, since they need to be separated then. My babies all started eating hay, pellets, veggies, and drinking water while they were also still nursing. At that point the milk is just a supplement, not their main food source. The boy was separated at 3 weeks and just ate regular food, but the girls stayed with their mother and ate regular food as well as continuing to nurse, which they didn't stop until they were about 5 weeks old. One of them even kept nursing until she was almost 6 weeks, but by then their mother wouldn't let them anymore.

The males don't need to be separated before 3 weeks even if they're mounting and showing sexual behavior, because they're not physically capable of impregnating a female until at least 21 days.

Thank you guys for all the help amd advice. Im starting to get a little more excited about the babies now.

Its amazing how they come out good to go! They will be so tiny, but all there. They grow so much day to day. From the shaky new baby one day, to more confident and able to do so much more the next.
They grow so fast, enjoy every day, every milestone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.