Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Aubrey still has URI and we don't know why

Brookielizz

Cavy Slave
It would be a long story to start from the beginning but I got my baby from a pet store (I know now how bad that is) in early June and her and her sister ended up having URI (Poor Poppy ended up passing away from this). I brought her back to the pet store because they said they would pay her vet bills if we brought her back and we could take her home once she was better. Fast forward a month and they told us now she had ringworm and we couldn't take her home for at least another month. We finally got her home yesterday only to find out she is still sneezing and whistling when she breaths. I just want to say that they lied to us about getting her checked out before she was sent home. I can't stress enough how much I am hating this pet store. Anyways, I call the vet (same vet who was treating her before) and she tells me I have two options: 1) Give her back to the pet store for them to pay her bills but they will likely do the minimum to get her better or 2) I can pay for it myself and they will be able to do a lot more tests but It will cost a lot because they want to run a lot of tests to see why the medication she was taking before didn't help her. I just want to also add that other than the sneezing and the breathing, she looks soooo healthy. She is running around and eating everything in her sight! I know guineas are good at hiding illnesses though. Is there any way this isn't URI or does anyone know why the medication didn't work? Just asking so that when I take her in maybe I can help them figure out what is wrong faster.

One possibility could be that the pet store wasn't properly administering the medicine. It can be very difficult to syringe feed a guinea pig, especially if they're sick, scared, and unfamiliar with you. If they didn't care enough to check to see that she was still sick when they gave her back, I wouldn't trust them to have given her every dose of the antibiotic.

That's true! I didn't think of that. I guess I just figured they'd have some idea of what they were doing.

Firstly, sneezing and wheezing are usually serious symptoms even if she appears fine and even if it's not a URI there could be other issues going on here such as a heart condition. Either way, she should be seen by a vet and needs further tests to exclude more serious illnesses. It could be something less serious such as an allergy but from the way you make it sound I very much doubt it. It could still be a URI that wasn't treated properly and URI's are lethal if left untreated, do you know what medication they gave her? I wouldn't trust the pet store nor the vet they allocated to deal with these animals. It could very well be that it's just a standard vet and not an exotic vet. Have you looked into whether that vet is exotic trained? Normal cat and dog vets do not have the training to deal with guinea pigs if she is exotic trained then it might just be a matter of the pet store being unwilling to cover the bills.

Do keep in mind that if you permanently return the guinea pig to the pet store and if the guinea pig doesn't make a quick recovery they will probably euthanize it as pet stores generally don't care to spend a lot on vet fees and are more concerned about making a profit (your response from the vet indicates this to be the case). They will likely just replace it with a healthy pig, this is what they already do when they get them from breeding mills and this is why a lot of people on this forum discourage buying pets from pet stores and instead adopt. Animals are treated quite badly in most pet stores. You might be the only chance this pig has to get better but unfortunately it'll be at a high cost as exotic vets cost a lot of money. Here is some info that you might want to read:

https://www.guinealynx.info/uri.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html#signs
https://www.guinealynx.info/medical_guide.html (This page has some helpful info on how to find a good vet and tips on giving medical care, I'd highly recommend the 'Care Guide' as well if you haven't read it yet)

Also double check your hay, make sure it smells fresh, looks green and isn't dusty or has a lot of small bits of hay.

Last edited:
Thank you for telling me about heart problems! I have done so much reading and never read about that before. My vet is an exotic vet for sure. I truly believe she knows her stuff. She told me that she told them when Aubrey was first brought in that she wanted to do Xrays and a culture but they refused to pay for it. I emailed the company and they told me that they were going to look into this for me because they should have never sold me a sick piggie in the first place. I want to say again that I see now why pet stores are bad places. I got my other two girls from a girl who rescued a pregnant guinea.

Thank you for telling me about heart problems! I have done so much reading and never read about that before. My vet is an exotic vet for sure. I truly believe she knows her stuff. She told me that she told them when Aubrey was first brought in that she wanted to do Xrays and a culture but they refused to pay for it. I emailed the company and they told me that they were going to look into this for me because they should have never sold me a sick piggie in the first place. I want to say again that I see now why pet stores are bad places. I got my other two girls from a girl who rescued a pregnant guinea.

It's good that she is an exotic vet, it does sound like she will need xrays and tests etc. to figure out if there is a more serious problem. Those will be quite expensive.... It doesn't surprise me that the pet store refuses to pay for more expensive tests like that. Usually they will cull any more severely sick animals before they put them in the pet store display but that's rarely a guarantee that they aren't sick as it doesn't always show up right away. They are usually willing to pay for cheap treatments but if they don't work they encourage people to return the pets so they can euthanize them although they obviously won't say that. I very much doubt they will heal it and put it back up for sale but I'm sure there are some rare exceptions to that.

Often animals in pet stores come from breeding mills where they will get rid of the sick or deformed animals before they go to the pet store, or they will only keep the better specimens for sale and use the lesser animals for breeding. Pet store pigs are also often pregnant because they don't generally separate them by gender properly, pregnancies are very tough on guinea pigs and of course there's the whole issue of inbreeding. If you read through these forums you will find thousands of topics of people who brought home a pig who was sick, pregnant, or has genetic problems. Pet stores just don't care, they are there to sell a product... it's not just apparent by how they treat their live animals it's also apparent by what they sell for those animals like bad treats (yoghurt drops, seed sticks), bad pellets (with little seeds and bits in it, they can choke on the seeds), and of course too small cages. Some will even sell hamster balls or wheels to guinea pig owners even though these can easily kill the pig.

To be fair, plenty of employees at those pet stores do genuinely care about the animals but simply don't know better because they've not been trained properly or given the wrong information during training and so they think they are doing the right thing. Also, not ALL pet stores treat their animals badly (for example, some will only have rescues on display and work together with a shelter rather than a breeding mill, that or they won't sell any animals at all), this however is less common for sure.

So your only realistic options here are to either return it to the store where it will likely be euthanized, pay for the treatment yourself, or find someone willing to adopt her and who will pay for her treatment... but unfortunately it'll be unlikely that you will find someone willing to invest that much money into a pig they don't know well and neither of those two options guarantee that the pig will even survive or become healthy. If she has a heart condition she might require a lot of medical care for most of her life. Who knows though, maybe if you're lucky she might only have an allergy or something that can be cleared up with cheaper treatment but you won't know that for sure until you do those preliminary tests.

It's a difficult decision for sure, I don't envy you for having to make this call and that pet store is absolutely in the wrong. I'm not sure if there is much you can do about that other than to complain and not give them your money in the future. I wish you the best of luck with this, I hope things turn out okay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.