Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements Are these vitamin c tablets okay?

sandycmcr

Cavy Slave
Hi, ever since my two piggies got a URI it seems as though their pallets have completely turned upside down. They dont eat any of their old favorite veggies and one completely stopped eating any form of bell pepper. I was wondering if the spring valley vitamin c supplement 500 mg(with 10 mg rose hip)would be ok to give to them. The ingredients are cellulose(plant origin),croscarmellose, hypromellose, contains <2% of: silica,vegetable magnesium, stearate, vegetable stearic acid.

How would i go about the dosage and how to give it to them? If it's not recommended is there any other tablets around i can look into besides oxbow?

sandycmcr

Cavy Slave
Btw is there any veggies recommended i should try giving them? They only seem like like eating cilantro and cucumber now, only occasionally romaine lettuce and bell pepper. I've tried carrots, beets, and celery other than whats stated above.

sandycmcr

Cavy Slave
Thanks ill try the pellet method for helping them get back on their regular veggies. As for the vitamin c is that brand ok to go ahead until theyre able to learn to eat bell pepper again?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, it's WAY too strong, and you'd never be able to measure out what they need. If you're giving it as a supplement, you want to aim at about 30 mg per day, so a 100 mg. tablet is much more manageable than a 500 mg one. You may be able to find a plain child's vitamin C with a little flavoring that would make it more palatable to them.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I had one heck of a time finding vitamin C to supplement my older girl with. My vet was able to give me some liquid vitamin C to give her, which is working out much better than any tablet i've ever tried. I have also been using the oasis vitamin c drops on their pellets to make sure they are getting some vitamin C into them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.