Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Are my guinea pigs fighting, mating or playing?

salty_cavy

Cavy Slave
I have 2 guinea pigs both from the same PetSmart. One I've had for almost a year and a half, the other just 3 days. PetSmat said they are both males. I have tried to look it up but, I can't tell. Are they fighting, mating or playing?!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Read these links on sexing, if you are still not sure take a close and clear photo of their genitalia and post it up here for us to help.
https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm
(broken link removed)
https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

Read these for information about how to introduce two guinea pigs properly (I don't know if the livejoural page is working - it isn't for me)
https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm
guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Please split them up until you are sure that they are the same sex, you don't want anyone getting pregnant. You also probably should have quarantined the new one because of how often pet store pigs end going to their new homes with illnesses but it is too late for that now. What seems to be happening in the video is typical dominance (for the most part - there are some sections that are mildly concerning but that is almost certainly caused by the space they are in), did you introduce them properly before placing them in the cage? Either way a single midwest is too small for a boar pair, taking the divider out would help prevent one getting cornered which is a minor improvement, if you could get another Midwest and attach them together or upgrade to a 2x5 c&c that would certainly help their chances of getting along if they are in fact both boys.

Last edited:

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
I will tell you right off the bat your cage is not big enough for two GPs. That needs to change ASAP. Did you follow proper introductions or did you just toss them in together? You also need to check the sex of both of your GPs to make sure you do not have a male and female housed together. To me it looks like aggression but I'm not an expert so I'll wait for others to chime in.

wombats

Cavy Slave
I completely agree with soecara...you need to make sure you KNOW what sex these piggies are, stat. Don't trust what the pet store told you, and don't be nervous to check yourself. Yes, it's a bit weird, but for the health and safety of your guinea pigs it's a must. As soecara said, post pictures if you aren't sure. And I'd recommend removing the barrier...they can get through the tunnel fairly well but it'll help give them more open floor space which is the most important thing in a guinea pig's cage.

I am at least glad that you came here to ask and make sure everything was okay though...everyone here is very willing to help and the first thing on their minds are your guinea pig's well being.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I will tell you right off the bat your cage is not big enough for two GPs. That needs to change ASAP.
Actually, it is. That's a midwest cage. They are the only store brand cage that is big enough. It's the same size as a 2x3.

Now, that being said a 2x3 really isn't big enough for 2 boys. Yes, it technically fits the requirements for 2 guinea pigs but only the vey bare minimum. Since you have boys you are going to need to expand in order to prevent fighting. I think it's pretty easy to hook up a second midwest cage if you want to go that route. The other option is to make a c&c cage.

wombats

Cavy Slave
Agreed. If they are both boys they need the equivalent of a 2x5 c and c cage to live comfortably. I heard some do better in wider cages (3x4, I think) but don't take my word on that one. Males just need more space, period. It may even help with their dominance/aggression issues, if that's what this is, by giving them space to get away from one another.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
Actually, it is. That's a midwest cage. They are the only store brand cage that is big enough. It's the same size as a 2x3.

Now, that being said a 2x3 really isn't big enough for 2 boys. Yes, it technically fits the requirements for 2 guinea pigs but only the vey bare minimum. Since you have boys you are going to need to expand in order to prevent fighting. I think it's pretty easy to hook up a second midwest cage if you want to go that route. The other option is to make a c&c cage.

A 2x3 still isn't big enough for two piggies; only one. So a single Midwest is not big enough for two pigs.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
A 2x3 still isn't big enough for two piggies; only one. So a single Midwest is not big enough for two pigs.

You need to check the chart again. The MINIMUM size for 1 and 2 pigs is a 2x3. The PREFERRED size is 2x4. A midwest IS big enough for 2 pigs. If you look only at the column that says the grid size it's easy to get confused because the row for 1 pig says 2x3 and the row for 2 pigs says 2x4. But if you look at the column for minimum requirements you see both are listed as .7 sq meters. Thus, a 2x3 does meet the MINIMUM requirement for 2 pigs. Though it's certainly not an ideal size.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.