Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Are long hair guinea pigs a lot of work?

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
Im baby sitting a long haired guinea pig right now. I just finished grooming her and it took about an hour. Is that the norm? Are there ways to be quicker and more efficient? Whats your experience?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Give her a good haircut. Makes life easier for you and for her, and I guarantee you she won't care if her hair is short. Her owners, however, may feel differently!

fluffbutt

Cavy Slave
I have three long haired piggies and love them! I find that they aren't too much work - mine are good at cleaning themselves, and I usually give their "skirt" (the hair that drags along the ground) a trim with clippers every now and then. For some reason they're more scared of the scissors! :p

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
Ty guys. Heres a follow up. I got out her knotted hair. Should i keep from cutting and grooming her hair for a few days so she can settle in better to her new home? Or does her grooming take precedence over her settling in?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My two baby pigs are an Absynnian/Peruvian mix. I always say Punkin looks like he's wearing a hula skirt! They were dragging their hay EVERYWHERE they went, so I used a set of beard trimmers to cut their skirts short too. Much tidier and they don't get knotted hair or poop stuck in them any more.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Groom or it will happen again. I thought you were babysitting? Is this long term?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.