Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Applying neosporin to bite wound?

uglypiggy

Cavy Slave
So my pigs have been fighting and I've since kept them separated. My dominated piggy has some bite wounds. The natural process of scabbing and healing are apparent. Would I be able to apply some sort of ointment or anything at all to help my pig or should I just leave it be and keep a close eye on it (as I've been doing everyday)? I hate to see the marks on him and wish I could do something for him.
As for the fresh marks, they haven't scabbed over yet but i'd like to apply something if possible but if it doing more harm than good, I would avoid doing so. They aren't vicious wounds but they are wounds nonetheless.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If they are hurting each other they need to be kept separated totally. Just want to be clear on that because you say he has old wounds as well as fresh ones, so it sounds like they might not be totally split up.

In any case, you can apply neosporin if you think it's warranted. Make sure to apply a thin coat and try not to leave any excess on so that he or others might lick it off.

Serious wounds will need to be treated by a vet.

uglypiggy

Cavy Slave
I do have them separated totally (two different levels). I had them outside together earlier and they were doing okay so I figured I could try bringing them back in with the open ramp to interact more but obviously was a bad idea as the aggressive one attacked again. They are separated once again, since then.

I'm cautious to apply any ointment since on guinealynx it says, "Some vets feel the injury heals more quickly without ointments."

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
It depends on your preference and the wounds, really. You might be better off keeping it clean and keeping an eye on it. I doubt a thin layer of Neosporin would hurt, but it's up to you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.