Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Anyone use a combo of bedding?

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
I've always used fleece for my pigs and its worked fine, but I've been having a real problem with little fruit flies. I clean up their poops in the morning and the evening, but no matter what I can't get rid of these darn flies because they still have poop all over the place during the day. So I was thinking of maybe getting some pine or carefresh now to use for their all over bedding, and maybe just using fleece to put inside their hidey houses. Anyone use a combo like this? What type of loose bedding is most comfy for piggie feet? (besides fleece of course).

jdomans

Cavy Slave
For now I have completely switched from fleece to kiln-dried pine shavings (Suncoast). I have also just discovered a great trick. I still have a litter box under the hay racks, but the food bowls are not in the litter box and in a matter of 3 days the ammonia smell is awful. I am now spreading a bit of Yesterday's News in with the shavings around the food bowls and what a difference it makes.
I have two skinnies along with my furries and changing to the shavings hasn't phased them at all. As far as putting something soft inside their houses, I say to use fleece with cotton sewn to the bottom side. The shavings brush off the cotton so much easier than from fleece.

cavywhisperer

Cavy Slave
I use old cotton bed covers in my enclosure, and, yes, shavings and hay as well as hair and poop get off the cotton a lot easier than off the fleece. My piggies also have a few boxes with wood shavings and straw in their enclosure which they prefer for peeing.
I haven't had any problems with flies up to now, but the fly-season hasn't really started here yet. It might be a good idea to change the bedding more often and wash the fleece maybe even daily if there are a lot of flies. And make sure you take out all the rests of veggies and fruit every day as soon as possible. Don't leave them in the cage, as this will attract the flies very much.

Huah, I hate flies. But where there are animals, there are flies.

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave
I use pine shavings and woody pet pellets. I like the woody pet pellets because they are amazing at absorbing and you can compost them. I put wood shavings on top so the pigs feet get a softer ground to walk on.

Kealie78

Cavy Slave
I use Aspen and home shredded newspaper. Between me, my mother, my grandmother and my hub's co-worker we rack up a lot of newspaper! We do a lining of flat normal newspaper, then a layer of the shredded newspaper (gives a nice fluff) and top it with Aspen. The piggies seem to rest better since we went to this method, and I have to say it seems fresher a day or so longer. Oh and we are sure to pack it down as not to be too fluffy!

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I use Carefresh as I find it to be the best in terms of softness, smell-control, and absorbency. However, since it is so expensive (!), I am planning to use a layer of aspen first and a thin layer of Carefresh on top. By the way, I ordered my Carefresh through Amazon.com from Pet Food Direct (if I remember correctly) and it was a little more than half the price they charge at Petsmart or Petco! A really good deal, and very appreciated because I have a 55-square-foot cage that takes a LOT of bedding!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.