Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Anyone have any ideas?

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Ok, so I've been trying to figure out how or what I could use to make a couple hideys. I really want them to be unique, but be able to attach to the side of the cage, as my pigs move their hideys all over and then they get in the way of their hay rack, water bottles, etc.

Just some things to know...
1. I can't use cardboard, as Twix thinks its the greatest "food" since hay. Any cardboard Hidey would be demolished in a matter of days.

2. I can't use wood, as the only wood we have is either varnished or I don't know what kind it is.

3. Ice cream buckets won't work, my pigs have gotten too big for them.

4. I don't have any money to buy stuff at the moment, so I'd prefer if the supplies are everyday objects.

I also already have a fleece forest in the cage, but Twix hates it. I also think it would be pretty useful for Twix if he could have a little elevated "hideaway" to get away from Marble, who bullies him. Marble doesn't jump, which is why I think it would be good to be elevated.

Thank you all so much for your help. I can post pictures of the finished hideys when I get some good ideas, if anyone wants me to.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Do you have any extra grids? You can bend them in various ways and attach to the grids on the side of the cage, and cover them with fleece or towels.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Well, I have done that, but I don't really like it as Marble is a super shedder and his fur gets all over the bottom edge of the fleece draped over the side. I think I am going to make a bunk bed type hidey for Twix to go into out of some bent grids, fleece, and extra Coro, though.

jenneliza

Cavy Slave
What about just fleece curtains? We have a curtain, and it's great for hiding, but great for running laps too - they can run through them which gives extra room. Maybe make a hammock?

mamajet

Cavy Slave
A tent? If you have an embroidery hoop, you can drape material from it, then hang it somehow.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Those are both good ideas. Thanks! @jenneliza My pigs don't get how to use a hammock. They just bump it with their noses. lol Wouldn't the fleece curtain just be like fleece draped over a bent grid, though? @mamajet Sadly, I don't have an embroidery hoop... :( I could try making some sort of ring out of wire or something, though...

Thanks again!

jenneliza

Cavy Slave
For my curtain I just wire tie a (non bent) grid horizontally into a corner of the cage at the second from the top square. Then just drape fleece over. I cut my fleece into a "L" shape so the 2 sides drape nicely with a slit between for coming and going.
Ive never tried a hammock but pretty sure mine would do the same!

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
@jenneliza I've tried something similar that, but in one of my previous posts I said that I'm not too fond of them as Marble's fur gets all over the bottom edges. I forgot to say that Twix doesn't really like them either. Sorry if I sounded rude... I didn't know how to explain that politely.

Any more ideas, anyone?

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
Hah, thanks. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.