Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Another bathing question

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
When I got my piggies they were dirty. I did the warm water bath like was suggested by thier previous owner and my husband got the no wash shampoo. I was unable to get all the yellow off thier fur, which I assume was there do to urine. I was wondering if baby wipes might help since the other two didnt?

I am asking before trying but I am not going to give them a bath over the next week or two because I gave them a bath not that long ago and they were wimpering. Well it sounded like it to me anyway.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
If you're bathing them in water anyway, you might as well use actual shampoo. It's more effective than that no-wash stuff, and if they're getting wet already, it completely defeats the purpose of dry shampoo. I use Squeaky Clean small animal shampoo, which can be found at Petsmart.

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
My husband was suppose to buy the real shampoo and he didnt thats why I was asking about the wipes till it is time for another bath. I dont want to give them a bath again so soon so I was just wondering.

Moenae

Cavy Slave
Couple of suggestions.....first of all, don't use a waterless shampoo. It doesn't get them clean and it leaves a residue on their fur that may not be good for them to ingest. Yes, in the winter it's tempting to use it, but you are better off giving them a real bath and being sure to thoroughly dry them and then keep them in a relatively warm and draft-free room until they are dry to the skin.What kind of baby shampoo donyou use im quite sure i want to try the shamppoo you use instead of getting those expensive ones made for small animal i just cant decide mild aby shampoo or sqeaky clean they say baby johnson shampoo isent good for them but im confused please help

Of course they will whimper! Guinea pigs are not natural water lovers........ever tried to bathe a cat?? Some folks say that their cavies like the water, but perhaps they are the exception. Mine whimper and shake the entire time they are in the water. You just have to move very slowly and support them with one hand so they feel more secure......and then finish the process as quickly as possible.

I keep baby wipes on hand (hypoallergenic, natural ingredients, unscented) to clean up poopy feet, butts, and bellies in between baths. For a bath, most people recommend a specialized shampoo for small creatures like kittens, ferrets, guinea pigs, etc. I just use a mild, hypoallergenic baby shampoo for the body with sometimes a bit of dish detergent on an extra dirty bum. I have a soft toothbrush to get dirty feet and nails clean in the bath.

If your cavies have white fur (and it is medium-long), it's almost impossible to keep them clean. My Aby has a perpetually green chin from his veggies.[/QUOTE

Moenae

Cavy Slave
Couple of suggestions.....first of all, don't use a waterless shampoo. It doesn't get them clean and it leaves a residue on their fur that may not be good for them to ingest. Yes, in the winter it's tempting to use it, but you are better off giving them a real bath and being sure to thoroughly dry them and then keep them in a relatively warm and draft-free room until they are dry to the skin.

Of course they will whimper! Guinea pigs are not natural water lovers........ever tried to bathe a cat?? Some folks say that their cavies like the water, but perhaps they are the exception. Mine whimper and shake the entire time they are in the water. You just have to move very slowly and support them with one hand so they feel more secure......and then finish the process as quickly as possible.

I keep baby wipes on hand (hypoallergenic, natural ingredients, unscented) to clean up poopy feet, butts, and bellies in between baths. For a bath, most people recommend a specialized shampoo for small creatures like kittens, ferrets, guinea pigs, etc. I just use a mild, hypoallergenic baby shampoo for the body with sometimes a bit of dish detergent on an extra dirty bum. I have a soft toothbrush to get dirty feet and nails clean in the bath.

If your cavies have white fur (and it is medium-long), it's almost impossible to keep them clean. My Aby has a perpetually green chin from his veggies.
what kind of baby shampoo do uyou use ti asked a question about using baby johnson shampoo on them and they said dont use baby shampoo it contains alot of pH and im so confused i saw a women using some on her guinea pig and it didnt bother her at all

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Baby shampoo isn't designed for animals that groom themselves. That's not to say that the pig will die immediately if it's bathed in baby shampoo, but no one knows what the long term effects of it would be. You can just bathe them in warm water if you don't have a shampoo for exotic pocket pets.

I'm not even a fan of the hypoallergenic baby wipes. I don't like leaving anything on them that they might lick.

Moenae

Cavy Slave
Baby shampoo isn't designed for animals that groom themselves. That's not to say that the pig will die immediately if it's bathed in baby shampoo, but no one knows what the long term effects of it would be. You can just bathe them in warm water if you don't have a shampoo for exotic pocket pets.

I'm not even a fan of the hypoallergenic baby wipes. I don't like leaving anything on them that they might lick.
so your telling me i can just bathe him and warm water “Alrighty then"*says in my ace ventura voice* ill just get sqeaky clean shampoo just in case what do you use on your pigs Bpatters

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo. I've written the company and asked them for the ingredients, because I can't find them online anywhere, and that worries me a little. If I don't hear from them soon, I'm going to look for another brand.

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the suggestions. I use unscented baby wipes from walmart but I dont want to use them if they will hurt the piggies. I will just wait and wash them with a recommended soap if its not. I just dont want them to be really scared everytime I take them out.

Moenae

Cavy Slave
Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo. I've written the company and asked them for the ingredients, because I can't find them online anywhere, and that worries me a little. If I don't hear from them soon, I'm going to look for another brand.
Let me know what the indgredients are and is its ok to use on my guinea pig because i dont want to hurt him i guess ill stick to lupe warm water and when you post the indgredients and if its ik to use on gps (guinea pigs)i will postpone getting it for now

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've been using it three years and it hasn't killed my pigs yet. But someone recently pointed out that we don't know the ingredients, so I've been looking for a list. It certainly won't hurt your pigs, and is no doubt better for them than baby shampoo.

Moenae

Cavy Slave
I've been using it three years and it hasn't killed my pigs yet. But someone recently pointed out that we don't know the ingredients, so I've been looking for a list. It certainly won't hurt your pigs, and is no doubt better for them than baby shampoo.
Thank you tthis was very helpful but just keep us posted about the indgredients to i want to know to im getting Sqeaky clean for my guinea pig Chiko the shampoo kind

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.