Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Am I contagious to my pigs?

ibeabluedevil

Cavy Slave
I may have the Flu already, if not I'm next in line to get it. My sister and my 4 month nephew tested positive for it, they both possibly contracted it this past Thursday when he went to the Dr. for his checkup. My little nephew has been in my care since Tuesday of last week, but he didn't start showing signs of the flu until last night, however my sister started feeling ill Thursday night after his appointment at the Dr. which is why he remained with me just in case there was a chance he didn't have it we didn't want him to get it from her, but apparently it just took longer to show up in him. Anyways, I have Crohn's disease and am immunosuppressed because of it and the meds I take for it, so it's inevitable that I'm gonna get it to now. Can my piggies catch the flu from me? I don't want them to get sick either, I have been taking extra precautions such as wearing a face mask and rubber gloves and trying to limit my contact with them as much as I can, I do have to feed them and clean their cage, so I can't altogether avoid them. Is it at all possible that they can get sick from me?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Probably not. They're much more likely to get something bacterial from you than something viral. Your precautions that you're already taking are enough.

ibeabluedevil

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I was worried for them, I'm releaved to know they can't get it and the precautions I'm taking are good. I do in fact now have the flu and it sucks.�� I feel horrible and if I feel this bad, I can only imagine how my little 4 month nephew is feeling, but he's still got a smile on his face and isn't fussy at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.