Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Alter a commercial cage?

Spiffy'n'Spunky

Cavy Slave
I am really limited as to space for my piggies and cant really build a CC cage but has anyone ever altered a commercial cage to expand it, preferably upwards? Any ideas are welcome!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
It'll still be too small. Piggies need a large area rather than expanding upwards. They can't run around in circles if they're going up to another small level.

You sure you can't move some furniture around? Or maybe put the cage under a table or something?

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
I actually did expand my petstore cage two different times to increase space before switching to a C&C style cage. My pet store cage is 14 inches x 36 inches. At first, I used cubes and a slab of wood, and cardboard to make an upper level. Here's the pic: https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/big10steph/SallyandEleanorinthenewhouse.jpg And after we got Lizzie, we expanded again, putting a 2x2 on the side:https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/big10steph/TheNewHouse.jpg However, that being said - Make a C&C style cage. Nonamian_girl is right. Guinea pigs need a large based cage to run, not a cage that is built "up". For me, I loved the C&C because it was one solid piece, up off the ground, and much easier to clean. The piggies loved all the space. I now use my petstore cage as a hospital cage, so it didn't go to waste. I know that was our concern initially, but from someone who has tried it, it is much better for you and the pigs to build a C&C.

Jessica

Cavy Slave
Dont forget you can also do like a strip along the wall (1X5, 1X6 and so on and so on) the only thing is they cant run actual laps, but they can run back and forth. 2X? are great to, like a 2X4, 2X5, etc etc, they actually do save space and its really worth it in the end (helps with smell AND looks. But most importantly the piggies will LOVE it) You just have to make and create with your own ideas, you can also do an "L" shaped cage too if say you have to bend it around the corner of a wall or a couch or something. Just get creative, thats one of the best parts of these cages I think! Anyways, good luck either way you go!

OH! also dont forget to check around the galleries for ideas too!

Giplet

Cavy Slave
Your piggies will be so much happy when you make their cage bigger. I unfortunately had my two in a pet store cage:medusa: (evil me), before I knew any different. They were ALWAYS fighting and were not vocal and didn't move aorund much, even when I had them out for floor time.

When I built a bigger cage, which is my imprevised version of a C&C, the change in my GPs was miraculous!

Good luck with your cage and have fun creating it!

Spiffy'n'Spunky

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the ideas! I think what I am going to do is build some heavy duty shelves and expand on my wall. I am getting two wittle piggies tomorrow and hopefully for now the cage will be ok, until i can complete the design. When I finish i will post some pics! Thanks you guys!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.