Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Albino with dark ears?

So you say it's ok to watch a pig suffer in a petstore. You say you want to end cruelty but I see you also saying leave the pig in a bad place. I wouldn't do that to any animal. The rules to the forum don't state you can't purchase a pig. I understand a lot of the members here put in the time and effort to stop breeding mills but I will never watch an animal suffer being locked up.

I have never purchased a pig from a petstore. But if someone was to state they saw one miss treated I would go save it.

I know if People stop buying there will no longer be a need for the supply. But what should a person who feels for the helpless pigs stuck in the store who if not adopted will die? I am not saying run out purchase pigs but if I saw a pig locked in a small cage for months I won't let the thing suffer.

I'm upset that you'd claim got be an "adoption advocate" and still proudly support buying from a pet store. Yeah, sure, you gave this one pig a good home; and yeah, sure, she's relaxing and in a great home now. What about the pigs that you undoubtedly can't go back and buy when they are still there a few months from now? Don't you think they deserve a great home too?

Jodie - yes, a large number of folks get pigs without doing research and land here after finding that they should have done the research, need a larger cage, better food, should have adopted rather than purchased, etc. That is perfectly understandable and no one has a problem with a person who made a mistake and has come here to learn from it and make improvements as s/he learns. That was not the case with this poster, and that is why it is so disappointing and quite frankly, aggravating. If people who do know better still buy from a pet store - whatever the justification or rationalization - there is no excuse for that, no "putting yourself in their place" and members here WILL speak out when someone so proudly announces that they've purchased despite being "pro-adoption" otherwise.

So you say it's ok to watch a pig suffer in a petstore. You say you want to end cruelty but I see you also saying leave the pig in a bad place. I wouldn't do that to any animal. The rules to the forum don't state you can't purchase a pig. I understand a lot of the members here put in the time and effort to stop breeding mills but I will never watch an animal suffer being locked up.

I have never purchased a pig from a petstore. But if someone was to state they saw one miss treated I would go save it.

I know if People stop buying there will no longer be a need for the supply. But what should a person who feels for the helpless pigs stuck in the store who if not adopted will die? I am not saying run out purchase pigs but if I saw a pig locked in a small cage for months I won't let the thing suffer.

I agree! Thanks for speaking up.

Everyone..please take a deep breath ! First of all...Paula...with all due respect ( and I sincerely mean that) I don't think CharmeC was "proudly" advocating buying from a pet store. I believe she was simply thinking about the plight of this poor piggie, and was moved by compassion to save her life.

I also think that it is the more "mature" approach to agree to disagree as Beverly stated earlier in the thread, therefore trying to keep the pot from stirring up emotions even further. I also believe it is a matter of respect to respect another's viewpoint.

Your reply to Jodie was hurtful and unnecessary, and I sincerely hope it doesn't turn others away from this forum who like myself, are here to learn from you and others more experienced, in the proper care for their piggies. I also hope that it doesn't discourage others
from expressing their own true thoughts and feelings. How this thread was handled makes me very sad and very disappointed as well.

She did not adopt ... she purchased. Big difference.

And what about the pigs back at the breeding mill? Who is going to 'save' them now that the pet store needs to buy more to sell?

Some how this whole thread went from what breed a poor piggy was to pet store vs. Adoption. Now I am all for adoption and when we go get supplies that I need right away I do peek at the pigs. I know if I saw an adult Piggie in a full glass cage for months on end I would adopt it. But that is me. To each his own.

On topic I am not sure her breed just know she is cute.

Please let's all agree to disagree.

This site is run by a rescuer and it is an anti-breeding, pro-adoption website. Going on here and saying you bought a guinea pig even though you knew about adoption is pretty much a slap in the face to us.

She bought a guinea pig. Stop making it like it was a life or death situation. That is more apt to conditions in the breeding mill she came from or the guinea pig sitting on death row in an animal control facility.

Everyone..please take a deep breath ! First of all...Paula...with all due respect ( and I sincerely mean that) I don't think CharmeC was "proudly" advocating buying from a pet store. I believe she was simply thinking about the plight of this poor piggie, and was moved by compassion to save her life.

I also think that it is the more "mature" approach to agree to disagree as Beverly stated earlier in the thread, therefore trying to keep the pot from stirring up emotions even further. I also believe it is a matter of respect to respect another's viewpoint.

Your reply to Jodie was hurtful and unnecessary, and I sincerely hope it doesn't turn others away from this forum who like myself, are here to learn from you and others more experienced, in the proper care for their piggies. I also hope that it doesn't discourage others
from expressing their own true thoughts and feelings. How this thread was handled makes me very sad and very disappointed as well.

Just in case some of you don't know: You don't get to set the rules for threads or tell other members how to act in threads. That is the job of the moderators. Only we get to do these things.

With all due respect, if the OP had simply wanted to know the breed of her new pig, she could have asked without announcing where she got the pig. Then the ensuing conversation would not have happened at all.

One thing you all also have to remember is that for every pig you buy at a petstore, there will be at least 2 or more taking its place. Every pig you buy causes more to be bred. In turn, that can cause more sows to die. Most of you seem to look at it just from one angle instead of looking at the whole picture. Sure, we all feel bad for the pigs at the petstores. Especially those in tiny enclosures that don't get hay or veggies. But the reality is, to save lives, it's better to leave those pigs at the store. Every pig bought, condemns a pig in a shelter or rescue that needs a home.

And yes, I've "been there, done that". One of my early pigs was a petstore purchase. It was before I was really aware of the BIG picture behind petstores. But I learned from my mistake and now am an advocate of adoption only and don't purchase pigs.

To be on this forum, one needs to have a thick skin. I am a believer that respect is earned, not freely given. I am not going to agree to disagree on this subject because it's an important subject where people need to open their eyes to the true petstore horrors and realize that you can't save them all. I love all animals and what I am about to say may seem heartless to some but I'd rather leave the pigs in the petstore no matter the condition than to advocate breeding mills, backyard breeders and petstores.

Lastly, if you don't like a particular thread, you can choose not to read or comment further in it.

My feelings on this is that she saw that this poor pig was going to more then likely either 1. be killed due to lack of sell, 2. be sent back to breeder and bred ( likely to kill her due to hips) or 3. Live out her life stuck in a cage getting attached to other pigs and then have them sold.
To me the choices all were grim but the 3rd one is the worst.

My issue with the way the thread has diverted from the question is what I am irritated at. People jumped on the poster for how she got the piggie.
How do you expect people to want to come here for advice and information if you jump someone like this. To me its blanten ( excuse my spelling its late where I am) lack of respect for one another as people. I understand expressing your opinion but there is an under current in the way the post are written that really come off as aggressive and attacking.
I deal with post like this on a forum I am active on for a different subject and I own my own forum for that subject.
I feel if you wouldn't like people to say things with the undertones you yourself are using then don't use them on someone else.

I personally think that pig was saved from endless suffering YES the pig was purchased. But How would you feel if you got attached to someone then had them ripped away? That pig was older and def. needed a better home. If your gonna jump people everytime they post a story like this one then I need to find another piggy forum that is less agressive.

I just can't tolerate seeing people being so mean to one another. I deal with it enough with Service dog forums.

People are free to posts their opinions on any subject given that the opinions fall within the forum rules whether others like it or not. No one was rude, no one was mean, no one cursed, yelled or threw hissy fits. The OP has been a member here for almost 2 years and by now should know the Principles and Philosophies of this forum.

This forum is PRO-ADOPTION, anti-breeding and anti-petstore that sells live sentient beings. We aren't going to tell someone it's ok that they bought the pig for whatever reason and pat them on the back and say "Yay, thanks for buying that pig". Animal welfare is one of the main purposes and principles of this site. If we are going to turn a blind eye to those that know better and buy anyway, we might as well just give up and close the forum down.

If anyone has issues about how members are treated, we have a specific forum section for that. It belongs there, not here.

My issue with the way the thread has diverted from the question is what I am irritated at. People jumped on the poster for how she got the piggie.
How do you expect people to want to come here for advice and information if you jump someone like this. To me its blanten ( excuse my spelling its late where I am) lack of respect for one another as people. I understand expressing your opinion but there is an under current in the way the post are written that really come off as aggressive and attacking.

Uh, nope. I didn't even comment to the poster about how she got the cavy, and still haven't. I corrected someone who told her she had done the right thing and insulted people who didn't think so. If people weren't so willing to run around patting people on the back for contributing to the pet store problem, you wouldn't have heard from me at all.

If you're going to be upset about lack of respect, you should start with people who don't have any respect for the focus of this forum. There are plenty of forums where it's considered morally neutral to purchase pigs like a pair of shoes. This ain't one of them, and for that I'm glad.

You obviously didn't read my post correctly. the HUMANE SOCIETY does all the screening for the adoption of the pets. The pet store houses them and takes care of them until a proper home is found for them. There is a huge screening process. If someone is interested in a piggie..they have to fill out an application form. NOBODY said they were not screening the homes. I'm really getting sick of the ignorant remarks people make on here.

I am a very nice person along with many others here that are here to learn and yes hear the truth, but in all honesty....DO YOU HAVE TO BE SOO RUDE!
I love this forum, and some people do things that others wouldn't, some people have gotten piggies without doing research, but that is why they are here! They are asking for help! Not snotty, inconsiderate remarks. I guess if I get in trouble for voicing my opinion...i guess that is what happens. I like the forum, but the ignorance has got to stop.
This poor girl may have done the wrong thing in your eyes, but in hers she didn't and she is asking for HELP. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" The golden rule! Anyone heard of it?

No, actually, I didn't read your post incorrectly. You didn't say one thing about them being screened and only being in the pet store because it's some sort of overflow housing for the SPCA which does all the placements. It's not ignorant not to be able to read your mind, and it isn't polite of you to go on a rant about rudeness and ignorance where there was none.

She isn't a "poor girl" and she didn't ask for my help. She asked a question about guinea pig coloration, and got her answer. I haven't even commented about her at all - or you, even, just your remarks. You, on the other hand, have launched into personal attacks on other members, while having the nerve to quote the "golden rule."

Difference is,when I speak out, I do it kindly.
That's a theory!

Isn't that nice. Pity neither of you have compassion for the ones being bred so as to have others to replace her. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.

Your emotions are your own concern. If you get upset when someone correctly points out that someone's actions are actively causing harm in the world, maybe you should stay off message boards. Let me state it clearly. I have no respect for any opinion which results in additional harm in the world, and think it would be the height of cowardice to pretend I did. Not all positions are created equal.

It's only "hurtful" if it's true (which it is, of course) and it's only "unnecessary" if everyone agrees with it (which they don't, as you're amply demonstrating). It would fly directly in the face of teaching others to properly care for their cavies to countenance someone CONTRIBUTING to the problems they face by supporting the sale of guinea pigs. I'm not nearly as concerned as you are about discouraging others from "expressing their own true thoughts and feelings" - you're certainly doing a good job patting the OP on the back for buying a pig and patting yourself on the back for supposedly being "mature," after all. It's also a good thing I don't feel a need for your approval, just don't seem to be as concerned for my expression of my "true thoughts and feelings" as for others.

I think that anyone who comes to a forum such as this one, KNOWING the stance the forum and its members takes on buying from a pet store and openly announces that she BOUGHT a pig, and happily explains her reasons for doing so, is doing so proudly. And, rather rudely, in my opinion. And, you know, as for being "moved by compassion" to save this single pig - fine. What about all the others? What about those that are no doubt in that pig's place right now? Aren't they deserving of a little bit of compassion, too? What about the breeders in the back rooms that are being forced to put out litter after litter to keep up the stock of these animals?

Buying an animal to save that one animal from a terrible fate is easy and it's nothing to be celebrated because doing so supports the very thing that we'd like to see stopped, and it absolutely ensures that there will be more pigs suffering the same fate. Because we cannot be moved by "compassion" to buy them all - can we?

Speaking of respect. What would you call it that this person came to this forum knowing full well that her CHOICE to buy a pig would NOT be supported, and would in fact be a hot topic for discussion here, and went right ahead and posted it anyway? Because, to me, that's about as disrespectful as it gets. And let's be realistic - as Blackarrow has so eloquently pointed out, the OP has done absolutely nothing worthy of respect. She bought a pig from a pet store because she wanted that pig. Bully for her! She's assured that that store will continue selling animals and putting more and more and more into the same position, because if there's always a person to BUY an animal from the store, why on earth would they stop selling them?

Your reply to Jodie was hurtful and unnecessary, and I sincerely hope it doesn't turn others away from this forum who like myself, are here to learn from you and others more experienced, in the proper care for their piggies. I also hope that it doesn't discourage others from expressing their own true thoughts and feelings. How this thread was handled makes me very sad and very disappointed as well.
What makes me sad and disappointed is that folks who know all the reasons to adopt and not buy still do so for whatever reason they choose to cite at the moment. Sadder still is the fact that there are members, who also know exactly why we shouldn't be buying while there are homeless animals in shelters also facing an unknown fate due to the very sales of these animals, who would choose to condone and celebrate it rather than speak against it for fear of confrontation and would childishly cite "respect" as the reason for doing so. Shameful, really.

My feelings on this is that she saw that this poor pig was going to more then likely either 1. be killed due to lack of sell, 2. be sent back to breeder and bred ( likely to kill her due to hips) or 3. Live out her life stuck in a cage getting attached to other pigs and then have them sold.
To me the choices all were grim but the 3rd one is the worst.
The problem with this line of thinking is that you are neglecting the reality that while there are people willing to buy from these stores they are absolutely guaranteeing that there will always be more pigs facing all three of these scenarios. You are neglecting to acknowledge that while this person has saved a single pig, she has condemned so many more to suffering the same fate she "rescued" the one from.

This has been stated, but it bears repeating. This poster not only knows the philosophies and ideals of this forum, but she claims to actually subscribe to them, and yet she STILL chose to post - happily - that she BOUGHT this pig anyway. It wasn't a simple question about the pig - it was a slap in the face to those of us who not only believe that seeing the sales of live animals needs to end, but are actually also willing to do what we can to see that it ends. Which does NOT include buying said animals and supporting those stores, no matter how pitiful or how deserving a single animal might be.

People coming here for mere advice and information is a far cry from someone coming here and announcing that they bought an animal and also claiming to be "pro adoption." The OP has made her choice, and maybe you and others have too, but to NOT comment on the reasons that the choice should have been different is a disservice to those folks who may come along later, who are perhaps on the fence about buying versus adopting, and may be persuaded not to buy because of something that's said or pointed out as a result of the OP's choices. What point would there be to advocating adoption on this forum if the members are not also willing to speak out when someone buys? What purpose would be served with silence, and by that silence, acceptance?

This situation comes up here on the boards quite often. My question is, why do people feel compelled to 1. Shop at the large pet stores when almost any item can be purchased online 2. If you must shop at the stores, why visit the guinea pigs at all? We all love them and the temptation to save one can be overwhelming. Even those of us who know better might be tempted if we actually stand and look, and possibly bond with an individual animal. I am not trying to be "holier than thou" but I refuse to shop at the stores for the most part. If I must, which is perhaps once per year, I do not even look at the pets. Why not help out at the local shelter and actually do some good and... if you fall in love with a particular animal and can afford it.. then adopt !

Duffinvt,

There are no dedicated guinea pig shelters in New York City even for me to help out at. When looking for a rodent to adopt, my options are: 1. Look on Craigslist 2. Check the adoption cages at a pet store. People who own a car might be able to drive out to New Jersey or Long Island to look for guinea pig shelters, but I don't own a car. I buy my Oxbow supplies at a local store that does not sell live animals but I HAVE to buy bedding for my pigs and hamsters from the major pet chain stores.

I would appreciate it very much if this thread could be locked. I do not believe the thread is doing anyone good at this point.

No, the thread won't be closed at this point.

Why would the shelter have to be a dedicated guinea pig shelter for you to volunteer? There are plenty of shelters that often have guinea pigs.

If you absolutely must buy from pet stores that sell animals, perhaps you could just discontinue the practice of looking at/checking on the live animals if you can't trust yourself not to up and buy one from time to time.

Duffinvt,

There are no dedicated guinea pig shelters in New York City even for me to help out at. When looking for a rodent to adopt, my options are: 1. Look on Craigslist 2. Check the adoption cages at a pet store. People who own a car might be able to drive out to New Jersey or Long Island to look for guinea pig shelters, but I don't own a car. I buy my Oxbow supplies at a local store that does not sell live animals but I HAVE to buy bedding for my pigs and hamsters from the major pet chain stores.

I would appreciate it very much if this thread could be locked. I do not believe the thread is doing anyone good at this point.

I have been working with adoption shelters since I was 10 years old. I have never purchased from a pet store, yet I know how you felt when you saw that little angel. Sorry that you have encountered so much grief. Thank you for requesting this thread to be closed. That is why I love my pets so much, people can be cruel.

I have been working with adoption shelters since I was 10 years old. I have never purchased from a pet store, yet I know how you felt when you saw that little angel. Sorry that you have encountered so much grief. Thank you for requesting this thread to be closed. That is why I love my pets so much, people can be cruel.
Jodie, my point was not to make the OP feel badly. In her case, what is done is done. But for anyone else thinking of getting a guinea pig I hope they will think before they buy at a petstore. My point is that for every angel in a petstore cage, there are dozens, perhaps hundreds of animals behind the scenes cranking out more angels. You have to look beyond what is in that petstore cage to the entire process of where that animal comes from. You can rescue her.. but can you go back next week and rescue the two that replaced her ? Can you rescue the fifty others living in horrible conditions in someone's back shed who are suffering and dying to provide the store its stock? If your heart goes out to the one you see, shouldn't it go out to the ones you never see? To the store, a guinea pig is just like a dog collar or nail clipper. If it is a hot item, stock more, sell more. But those are not living creatures, they are manufactured items.

Sorry, Jodie, you're just not different from anyone else in knowing how she felt when she saw that "little angel." We ALL do. That's why those of us who actually want to help keep cavies like her out of pet stores altogether DON'T SUPPORT THOSE PET STORES. It's really disturbing that you claim to love pets, yet are unwilling or unable to imagine the "little angels" that are behind the scenes, being euthanized at the shelters because no one came for them, or those being bred over and over to keep the OP's pet store in business. They aren't any less worthy of love and concern because you haven't seen a picture of them.

Jodie, my point was not to make the OP feel badly. In her case, what is done is done. But for anyone else thinking of getting a guinea pig I hope they will think before they buy at a petstore. My point is that for every angel in a petstore cage, there are dozens, perhaps hundreds of animals behind the scenes cranking out more angels. You have to look beyond what is in that petstore cage to the entire process of where that animal comes from. You can rescue her.. but can you go back next week and rescue the two that replaced her ? Can you rescue the fifty others living in horrible conditions in someone's back shed who are suffering and dying to provide the store its stock? If your heart goes out to the one you see, shouldn't it go out to the ones you never see? To the store, a guinea pig is just like a dog collar or nail clipper. If it is a hot item, stock more, sell more. But those are not living creatures, they are manufactured items.

Oh I totally agree with you 100%. That is why I adopt. Right now I have seven piggies from three pregnant rescued mothers. I have adopted out three. There used to be ten lol. I just know that being an animal lover it is hard to "see" them being treated badly. I personally wouldn't purchase from a pet store, but I just am agreeing that it is a hard thing to see. That is why I do not go into petstores and look. Simple as that, but I do understand how the person posting the thread felt is all. I am not agreeing with what she did at all, but I do know that she felt it was the right thing to do, it's easy to be overcome by "seeing". Believe me, I have actually seen many cases of abuse and neglect in my life time. I have seen things that people don't see and it truly is a nightmare. I am definately pro adoption.

I buy my Oxbow supplies at a local store that does not sell live animals but I HAVE to buy bedding for my pigs and hamsters from the major pet chain stores.
One word for you. Fleece.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.