Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Albino with dark ears?

CharmeC

Cavy Slave
I just brought a new girl home today. I first saw her in early January, the girl working in the store said she's been there for quite a while but nobody wanted to buy her. I went back again in mid February and saw that she was still there, a full grown adult pig among baby pigs. Today I went back and once again she was still there waiting for a home. I gave in and bought her.

I don't think she has been socialized or that her nails were ever clipped. She screams whenever I reach into the cage to pet her. But I think she's really a lovely girl and hope that she will settle down soon.

I am puzzled about her coloring though, she has pure white hair and red eyes, but her ears are grey. I thought an albino would have no pigmentation at all on her body? Is she really an albino?
5480553545_0542c35b0f_z.jpg

5480958990_1fb776a75e_z.jpg

Beverly Thacker

Cavy Slave
I don't have any advice but she is beautiful.

Jodie

Cavy Slave
I have two white babies here with the same thing. It is looking that the ears are going to be grey on the silkie one and on the texel, it looks to be one ear and one foot only. Strange!!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
There are no such things as albinos in pigs. There are what is called PEWS (Pink eyed whites). You may have a pig that is somewhat a PEW.

You've also been a member of this site long enough to know that we do not advocate buying pigs in petstores. It would have been much better had you not given in. Adopting a pig is much better than supporting petstores and breeding. This piggie you bought will now be replaced with more.

pinky

Cavy Slave
She probably has some Himalayan in her. They are white with dark areas on their ears, nose and feet and should have red eyes. Their markings are darker in cooler homes and lighter in warm places. Yours is probably a mixture of Himalayan and American and not albino.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have two white babies here with the same thing. It is looking that the ears are going to be grey on the silkie one and on the texel, it looks to be one ear and one foot only. Strange!!

Himalayans are born pure white and their points (ears, nose, feet) start to change in their first year. If they are a mixture of breeds and part Himalayan, their points might be more subtle.

CharmeC

Cavy Slave
There are no such things as albinos in pigs. There are what is called PEWS (Pink eyed whites). You may have a pig that is somewhat a PEW.
She probably has some Himalayan in her. They are white with dark areas on their ears, nose and feet and should have red eyes. Their markings are darker in cooler homes and lighter in warm places. Yours is probably a mixture of Himalayan and American and not albino.

That is a very interesting thing to know, thank you both!

You've also been a member of this site long enough to know that we do not advocate buying pigs in petstores. It would have been much better had you not given in. Adopting a pig is much better than supporting petstores and breeding. This piggie you bought will now be replaced with more.

I am an adoption advocate myself too and 3 of my piggies were adopted. But I did feel very glad as I watched Pitch Black relaxing and stretching out in a cuddle cup last night, probably for the first time in her life.

Jodie

Cavy Slave
That is a very interesting thing to know, thank you both!

I am an adoption advocate myself too and 3 of my piggies were adopted. But I did feel very glad as I watched Pitch Black relaxing and stretching out in a cuddle cup last night, probably for the first time in her life.

I agree with not buying from pet stores, but I have to disagree when it comes to giving a good home. You saw this one there for months..and honestly, I likely would have done the same thing. Sometimes people are quick to judge without puting themselves into the situation.

And just a note, My friend runs a pet store "Ruffins" and every single animal available in the store, with exception of the fish, are all through the local spca. They do not make their business off of selling animals, they make it from selling quality pet food and supplies. The money that is received from selling a pet, is an adoption fee for spay/neuters, supplies that are given with the pet upon adoption. So not ALL pet stores are bad.

GuineaLove

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your new girl. She is beautiful.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
I agree with not buying from pet stores, but I have to disagree when it comes to giving a good home. You saw this one there for months..and honestly, I likely would have done the same thing. Sometimes people are quick to judge without puting themselves into the situation.

And people here tend to judge because they have and do regularly put themselves into the situation, and still realize that buying pigs hurts more pigs than it ever helps, sad but true. People who can't stand seeing an animal in a pet store for months would do better FOR those animals not to frequent the pet store selling the small animal at all. Better still to march right into the store and tell them they would have your business BUT FOR their sales of small animals.

And just a note, My friend runs a pet store "Ruffins" and every single animal available in the store, with exception of the fish, are all through the local spca. They do not make their business off of selling animals, they make it from selling quality pet food and supplies. The money that is received from selling a pet, is an adoption fee for spay/neuters, supplies that are given with the pet upon adoption. So not ALL pet stores are bad.

Virtually no store profits from the sale of small animals. They almost always make their money from the sale of merchandise to go with the small animals (whether or not it is beneficial for those small animals). As long as they are selling to anyone who comes in with the proper amount of money, and not screening the homes for suitability, they are again doing more harm than good, even if they got the pets from the SPCA.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I understand there are bigger issues underlying this thread regarding the support of pet stores. And those are certainly valid concerns and I don't want anyone to think I disagree. But I don't think it should be lost that the OP quite probably saved a little pig's life. I don't think we should get so caught up in the legitimate opposition to pet stores that we lose sight of our piggie friends at the center of it all.

By the way, I think Pitch Black is beautiful !

Jodie

Cavy Slave
And people here tend to judge because they have and do regularly put themselves into the situation, and still realize that buying pigs hurts more pigs than it ever helps, sad but true. People who can't stand seeing an animal in a pet store for months would do better FOR those animals not to frequent the pet store selling the small animal at all. Better still to march right into the store and tell them they would have your business BUT FOR their sales of small animals.

Virtually no store profits from the sale of small animals. They almost always make their money from the sale of merchandise to go with the small animals (whether or not it is beneficial for those small animals). As long as they are selling to anyone who comes in with the proper amount of money, and not screening the homes for suitability, they are again doing more harm than good, even if they got the pets from the SPCA.

You obviously didn't read my post correctly. the HUMANE SOCIETY does all the screening for the adoption of the pets. The pet store houses them and takes care of them until a proper home is found for them. There is a huge screening process. If someone is interested in a piggie..they have to fill out an application form. NOBODY said they were not screening the homes. I'm really getting sick of the ignorant remarks people make on here.

I am a very nice person along with many others here that are here to learn and yes hear the truth, but in all honesty....DO YOU HAVE TO BE SOO RUDE!
I love this forum, and some people do things that others wouldn't, some people have gotten piggies without doing research, but that is why they are here! They are asking for help! Not snotty, inconsiderate remarks. I guess if I get in trouble for voicing my opinion...i guess that is what happens. I like the forum, but the ignorance has got to stop.
This poor girl may have done the wrong thing in your eyes, but in hers she didn't and she is asking for HELP. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" The golden rule! Anyone heard of it?

CharmeC

Cavy Slave
I appreciate everyone's feedback here but am very upset to see bad feelings arising in the thread :( The thing is I wish I could know for certain what happens to the animals that don't sell for a long time, a fellow guinea pig owner friend told me she assumes that they get euthanized in time :S At 914g Pitch Black is either full grown or overweight from being cooped up in a small space for too long. I always take a hard look at both the guinea pigs for sale and the ones for adoption at that store, so I know the baby ones come and go steadily but Pitch Black was always there :(

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I'm upset that you'd claim got be an "adoption advocate" and still proudly support buying from a pet store. Yeah, sure, you gave this one pig a good home; and yeah, sure, she's relaxing and in a great home now. What about the pigs that you undoubtedly can't go back and buy when they are still there a few months from now? Don't you think they deserve a great home too?

Jodie - yes, a large number of folks get pigs without doing research and land here after finding that they should have done the research, need a larger cage, better food, should have adopted rather than purchased, etc. That is perfectly understandable and no one has a problem with a person who made a mistake and has come here to learn from it and make improvements as s/he learns. That was not the case with this poster, and that is why it is so disappointing and quite frankly, aggravating. If people who do know better still buy from a pet store - whatever the justification or rationalization - there is no excuse for that, no "putting yourself in their place" and members here WILL speak out when someone so proudly announces that they've purchased despite being "pro-adoption" otherwise.

Jodie

Cavy Slave
Okay fair enough. Just don't think anyone deserves to be spoken to in a "not so nice manner" Including myself. I love my pets and have done many rescues. I have worked with people trying to adopt pets, but I'm done trying to say what it is that I would like to say. I won't post anymore, I will keep my thoughts to myself. I thought I was a "member here" and was able to speak out. Difference is,when I speak out, I do it kindly. Sorry for the problems.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Okay I've just gone back through the entire thread and no one but no one has spoken to anyone in a "not so nice" manner. That you don't like what is said does not mean that it is rude or unkind.

Jodie

Cavy Slave
okay. That's your opinion. Like I said, I will keep mine to myself and use this great site to learn and research. I can't make recommendations anyways, even tho I work for cavvy savy vets. If i suggest something. I get in trouble for it,so Congrats on your fantastic site. But making people hurt and upset is not so great. Great job with the site. Great information, not so great communication skills. I'm crying now so will be off to bed soon.

Beverly Thacker

Cavy Slave
Some how this whole thread went from what breed a poor piggy was to pet store vs. Adoption. Now I am all for adoption and when we go get supplies that I need right away I do peek at the pigs. I know if I saw an adult Piggie in a full glass cage for months on end I would adopt it. But that is me. To each his own.

On topic I am not sure her breed just know she is cute.

Please let's all agree to disagree.

CharmeC

Cavy Slave
I will state again that I am an adoption advocate, but I never forget that to adopt is a choice and not something one forces on people. I've been in charge of the guinea pig section of a Taiwanese rodent adoption forum for over a year. Some members join to post or look for hamster/guinea pig adoption info, other join to learn and discuss about better care for those animals. We keep reminding people to PLEASE think adoption first, but it's not an enforced rule. It is propaganda in the form of a REQUEST and I am happy to say that the concept is well received and most members do try to adopt first.

I checked the forum rules HERE before I posted the thread and it's not written anywhere that buying a pet is not allowed to be mentioned on the forum. Although now I see I should not have mentioned it in the thread seeing that I only intended to ask about her coloring.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Now I am all for adoption and when we go get supplies that I need right away I do peek at the pigs. I know if I saw an adult Piggie in a full glass cage for months on end I would adopt it. But that is me.
Yes, that is you, and it is because of that attitude that you can rest assured that there will always be pigs in pet stores waiting to be purchased, pigs that need good homes and don't get them, and pigs in back rooms or at breeders that are mistreated or neglected or forced to churn out litter after litter.

And it's not "somehow" that the thread turned one way or another - the member posted, rather proudly, that she'd purchased a pig, despite being a member here for quite some time, despite claiming to be "pro adoption" and despite surely knowing that this site is very much pro-adoption, anti-petstore.

And, no, there will be no agreeing to disagree when one of the primary functions and goals of this forum is to see an end put to the widespread cruelty that buying in petstores perpetuates.

We're not talking about a person who did not know and purchased because they didn't give any thought to adoption. We're talking about a person who does know, has adopted previously, and went right ahead and bought anyway, whatever the reason. When such a person comes along and announces that they have purchased, you can rest assured it will get noticed and commented on on this forum. If those of us who have spent countless hours working to put an end to pet store cruelty simply said, "meh, hey, it's okay - you saved a life!" without regard to what the cost is - more and more pigs being sold who have to meet no criteria whatsoever other than to be able to pay the asking price - what would be the point of keeping up this forum at all?

ETA:
Yes, it is perfectly allowable to post that you bought from a petstore. It is also perfectly allowable to discuss why you should and could have made a better choice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.