Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Adopting babies?

Cherrish09

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I dont know if this is the appropriate place to post this thread but I figured it would still get answered :) I have 2 female guinea pigs approx. 2 years old and I want to adopt some babies. Would this be advised? Where can I find babies that are being adopted out (there are no shelters or any thing around here) and just in general what do guys you think?

Sure, you can adopt babies. Craigslist, here, and Petfinder are all great ways to adopt. If you are adopting babies just so they get along with the 2 you already have, it may not work out that way. There are many stories of younger pigs dominating older pigs in discussions here. Sometimes an older pig is calmer and will integrate well. Just judge on personality, not age. Also, MAKE SURE TO SEX THE PIG YOURSELF!!! Many mistakes are made when sexing a pig, and you don't want to have an unwanted pregnancy. Good luck!

I am not trying to get babies to ensure the acceptance by the older ones. I wanted to get babies so that I can raise them and have a better bond with them than the ones I have now who are very shy of people because of their previons owners... I would definantly judge on personality of I end up housing them together but I can also have them their own home. Thank you for the advice :) but how do u sex a pig?

so, on the other hand, if you adopt and older pig from a reputable rescue, you'll probably know what their personality is. if they've been at the rescue, even for a couple of weeks, who they are and what they're like will be pretty clear. and that can be a good thing, especially when you're trying to build a happy herd. on the other hand, with babies, you can't possible know ahead of time what they'll be like - it's like russian roulette. that can be fun and exiting, but also risky. personally, i'v adopted one senior and am going to pick up my second senior (5 years old) tomorrow and don't regret a minute of it. it makes me feel good to give these older guys a good place to spend their last days.

so, on the other hand, if you adopt and older pig from a reputable rescue, you'll probably know what their personality is. if they've been at the rescue, even for a couple of weeks, who they are and what they're like will be pretty clear. and that can be a good thing, especially when you're trying to build a happy herd. on the other hand, with babies, you can't possible know ahead of time what they'll be like - it's like russian roulette. that can be fun and exiting, but also risky. personally, i'v adopted one senior and am going to pick up my second senior (5 years old) tomorrow and don't regret a minute of it. it makes me feel good to give these older guys a good place to spend their last days.
well...#1 there are no guniea pig rescue groups around here and our shelter dosent have any...I probably could find another adult to adopt if I wanted to but I want to adopt s baby or two.

oh and #2 i know its chancy cause you dont know what the babies personality will be thats why I said I would judge the personalities before deciding weather to home them together or seperate :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.