Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Adding more guinea pigs?

Partyrings

Cavy Gazer
Me and my friend are considering moving out of our parents houses late this year/early next year, the area that we want to move in has quite spacious houses to rent so I was kinda concidering getting another guniea pig or possibly two more for the two boars I already have (they're about nine months old I think) but I'm not sure if that's a good idea though! I don't want my boys to fall out with each other if I added one or two more (none of them are particularly teriorial with their cage idk if that's helpful) Also if I got girls and maybe divided the cage with a wall of the c&c cubes would the boars still fight or would they be okay?

They're in a 3x5 cage currently With a 1x3 loft, I'd make a bigger cage and make it nuteral if I got more guinea pigs and paying for more food, bedding (fleece), litter etc isn't an issue!

only issue I have is finding adoption centres in my area! (The Wirral)

I've heard (but never really tried for myself) that three boars in a herd is less likely to fall out than four. If you want to get more, I would just consider getting two more and having them in a separate cage, or only introducing one. Boars do best in pairs only, and it is more likely for them to fall out and you ending up having to either get rid of some or add some, though if done correctly and with the right pigs, a trio or herd of four may work out. I can't say this from experience; this is only what I've heard.

I'm one of the lucky ones that has a herd of four boats. There is enough age gap so only one is in puberty right now. I have Andy (5 years), Harry (1 year 5 months), Apollo (11 months), and Maxwell (4 months). Apollo is my little problem child while Andy is my dominant male. Just know it is possible if you're lucky. They all eat together and sleep together. The chase each other and fight occasionally but never draw blood.

They're in a 2x6 with a 2x2 loft.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.