Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Abscess Abscess in cheek plus infection leads to surgery

CrystalK9975

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

I am new here, but found this when looking for info on my guinea pigs cheek. I have one male guinea pig, named Squeakers. On Saturday I took him to the vet, bec. his cheek was all swollen. The vet said he has a piece of food stuck in his pouch in his cheek. News to me that guinea pigs have pouches, I thought that was just hamsters.

Anyway, he did a sono on his cheek and you can see the infection and all in his cheek. His poor cheek this morning when I took him back was the size of a golf ball or bigger. The vet didn't do surgery on Saturday bec, since Squeakers is still eating and doing all guinea pig things, he wanted me to give him a bunch of vitamin C all weekend, due to the antibiotic shot he will get after surgery could upset his natural bacteria (i think I am getting this all correct) and he wanted to make sure he was fully charged up on vitamin C before surgery this morning. The vet said this is common in rodents, but still don't ease my mind at all.

So all weekend Squeakers had everything I could give him with Vit. C. And he was in love! The vet also told me that he will have to shave his fur, make an incision in his cheek and get all the infection out, flush it, and will give him the antibiotic shot. I am worried bec. the vet said he would have to leave the incision open to heal. Has anyone went through this? What am I to expect? That is the help I am needing on this subject.

Thanks
Crystal

Last edited by a moderator:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, the first thing I'd say is that I wouldn't trust a vet that thinks that guinea pigs have pouches to do surgery on my pig. They do often have food in their mouths, between their gums and their teeth, but they definitely don't have pouches.

Yes, the incision will probably have to be left open. Those things have to heal from the inside out, or they just keep coming back. The vet should give you a curved syringe to flush it with, and some saline solution to use. Make sure they show you how to do it, and that you've got everything you need. They also should do an x-ray to make sure none of the infection is in the bone -- that makes it a much more difficult surgery to do and to heal from.

Make sure the vet isn't giving any kind of "cillin" shot -- pigs don't do well with penicillin or any of its analogs. There are other antibiotics they can use.

They also need to teach you how to handfeed in case he's off his appetite after the surgery, which he well may be. Antibiotics generally affect a pig's desire to eat, just at the time when they need it most. It'll be tricky with this little guy if you have to do it, because of the incision on his head -- that's generally where you have to clamp them with your hand to get the syringe in. But do make sure he eats -- a guinea pig that isn't eating is a guinea pig that's in serious trouble.

Good luck with him. Let us know how he gets along.

CrystalK9975

Cavy Slave
The surgery is done, and he is awake and doing good. I just have to wait till after work to get him. But it won't be long. I can't remember the exact term the vet used when talking about where the food was stuck. But he did say it was quite nasty in there when they flushed it out. thanks for the info. I will ask more questions when I go to pick him up.

Thanks again.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
How is he doing?

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Yes, how is he doing? I hope hes okay

CrystalK9975

Cavy Slave
He is eating and drinking. But I am worried still about him. Maybe over protective. Before all this, I never watched to see how much poopie he has done, but now I am always looking for poopie. I think it's still uncomfortable at times for him to eat, but he is eating. The vet called me to check on him too. I think Monday I might place another call to have him checked again. Again maybe over protective but it might make me feel better too.
What do you think? Am I over protective?

CrystalK9975

Cavy Slave
I am also not just looking for poopie but am also watching how much he eats too. I don't think he is back to full power on his eating yet.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Is he on any pain medications? When you say, "full power on his eating" what do you mean by that? Do you know what antibiotic he was given/dosage?

CrystalK9975

Cavy Slave
He isn't back to eating as much as he used too. But He is eating. Example is he isn't eating a whole baby carrot only half. But he will eat all of his green leaf lettuce and romaine that I give him.

The antibiotic that they gave him I don't know the name. That was my fault bec I was asking a bunch if other questions and forgot that one. One of the main ones too. Feel horrible.

There is no drainage at all. It scabbed over. I have checked and even pressed on it gently but nothing has come out. And swelling is gone.

So I think I will call vet on Monday, just to make sure.

CrystalK9975

Cavy Slave
And no pain medicine either. The day I brought him home he did eat good though and drank water.

CrystalK9975

Cavy Slave
Ok so I think he is constipated. I am thinking this bec he hasn't pooped today. He is just sitting still. I gave him a small piece of bell pepper which he used to just gobble up, but he purred and then left it. The vet isn't open till Monday. What can I do? I have given him romaine lettuce which he did eat today. He finally ate his carrot (baby carrot) but no poop. Help!

CrystalK9975

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I got him out, wrapped him in his fuzzy blanket. I did look at his bottom and was able to get a small piece of poop out. He has been active while sitting in my lap, playing under covers. Hoping if he moves his bowels will too.
He did eat some romaine lettuce while sitting in my lap under covers. So I feel a little better, but I am going to try to do the hand feeding and also call vet on Monday.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Do you have an emergency vet nearby? Some won't see guinea pigs, but some will at least make sure they are stable/try to stabilize them until you can take them to an exotics vet.

CrystalK9975

Cavy Slave
He ate a little romaine... And I mean a little. Drank a little water for me. I am going to get him out in a little bit and look at his bottom again to see if there is anything I can grab to pull out. I just want my happy healthy guinea pig back. No emergency vet that I am aware of that see small animals. So I will do all I can with him all day today and call first thing in morning when they open.
I wish he could talk and just tell me what's going on:-(

CrystalK9975

Cavy Slave
So last night I got squeakers out a few different times and held him. He is morn active when I am holding him and likes to play under the fleece blanket. Well he poopied 2 times. Made me feel good to know that something must be going in to come out also.
Took him back to vet. Told Dr that he hasn't been eating or pooping hardly at all if any. And what does Squeakers do when the vet is petting him and checking him.... He poops! The vet looked at his poop, said its good in color and wetness and also shape. He said his cheek/jaw area looks really good. But also said that it might take him a little time to get back to his usually hungry self and that he is probably really sore. His abscess was HUGE!
But he gave him a shot to help with any inflammation that he might still have. Told me to call him tomorrow and let him know how he is doing. The whole time there Squeakers made me look like a fool. He was very active and just bright eyed. Purred and squeaked.
So yes I I know I feel better and I am guessing squeakers is too. When I got him home I gave him some more romaine and he ate it. He also ate some of his cilantro too. So maybe I am a little paranoid, but better to be like that I guess than not care at all.

I have attached a picture (I hope) of him right before the vet did his surgery and attaching a photo of him after. Hope they show up.

Attachments

image-1145075663.jpg image-2638660436.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.