Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection A valuable lesson learned!

ViskyCat

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Hi guys! For my first post I have decided to share a great tip for battling those horrid UTI's!

I had a pig who was constantly plagued by UTI's for several months. We tried giving him antibiotics, but he got really sick so we decided not to finish the treatment. Instead I turned to traditional herb medicine after hearing about a herb known to treat UTI's in humans. It's called Sheperds Purse, (Capsella bursa-pastoris) and is a very common weed in all of Europe and the US. I managed to gather and dry about 2 kg of sheperds purse, and started putting it in his hay. He was very happy about trying something new at first, and when he got tired of it I made him tea from the herb. I can't remember how long I gave him Sheperds Purse, but all of his symptoms dissappeared within a couple of days, so I continued it for a couple of months to be sure. No pro-biotics, no force feeding, nothing of that. Naturally I had to try it to see what I was feeding my poor baby - and it tastes like broccoli! No doubt a relative to this super-veggie, but without the gas. But I'm blabbering.

If you're battling a stubborn UTI, mix some Sheperds Purse with the regular antibiotic treatment and see the wonder! It's very easy to find, it has heart-shaped leaves and white flowers, and grows EVERYWHERE! :)

ACHlove

Cavy Slave
Thank you for this!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Great tip and welcome to the forum! I'm glad you found something that helped! I'm a big fan of herbal, natural remedies for all my pets.

Also, just wanted to make a quick note that, as with any treatment, consult your vet to get suggestions and advice on giving an herbal treatment in conjunction with (or in place of) traditional therapies.

southernfury

Cavy Slave
Hi guys! For my first post I have decided to share a great tip for battling those horrid UTI's!

I had a pig who was constantly plagued by UTI's for several months. We tried giving him antibiotics, but he got really sick so we decided not to finish the treatment. Instead I turned to traditional herb medicine after hearing about a herb known to treat UTI's in humans. It's called Sheperds Purse, (Capsella bursa-pastoris) and is a very common weed in all of Europe and the US. I managed to gather and dry about 2 kg of sheperds purse, and started putting it in his hay. He was very happy about trying something new at first, and when he got tired of it I made him tea from the herb. I can't remember how long I gave him Sheperds Purse, but all of his symptoms dissappeared within a couple of days, so I continued it for a couple of months to be sure. No pro-biotics, no force feeding, nothing of that. Naturally I had to try it to see what I was feeding my poor baby - and it tastes like broccoli! No doubt a relative to this super-veggie, but without the gas. But I'm blabbering.

If you're battling a stubborn UTI, mix some Sheperds Purse with the regular antibiotic treatment and see the wonder! It's very easy to find, it has heart-shaped leaves and white flowers, and grows EVERYWHERE! :)

I have a quick question..!! Do you use the whole plant, flower parts and all OR do you just use the leaves??? I looked up this plant to see what it looks like and see if i have seen it around where i live. And i think i have seen it before. But just wanted to make sure what part of the plant you used. I have a little girl that seems to get UTI often. So anything that will help her...i will give it a try. Normally i get meds from my vet.

ViskyCat

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
You can use the whole plant, although I never used the roots. The leaves and flowers make a great addition to the hay. The stem gets very tough and chewey near the root so I used those parts to make the tea. You can serve it fresh or dried. I hope your piggie likes it and that those nasty UTIs stay away!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.