Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A better cage

birtha

Cavy Slave
I have a cage that only has one level and no bars (I know what your thinking and no its not a bad cage, its kindda one of those things you have to see for your self) anyways I have been trying to make it more fun and to have them exericse in there cage (I have two Giunea pigs) I was woundering what would you do if you were me? And I have already tried to consider grids but they dont sell them were I live. Thank you if you have any ideas and if you dont thanks anywayslol

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
First off, what are the inner dimensions of the cage? You can't overload the cage if it's not big enough.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Could you post pictures of your cage? It would make helping with ideas easier!

As fourwbs said, the bigger the better! What is the cage made out of? Would it be possible to extend it? With a bigger floor area, you have more scope to re-arrange the furniture at the very least - to make life more interesting for your pigs!

If that is not possible - then a regular 'floortime' would be the next best thing. Do you have a safe area where they could roam? I always used my bathroom, before making a huge pen in my front room. If you have other pets- you will need to ensure they are kept away, and ensure all cables and wires are out of piggy-reach!

Check out the galleries for more inspirational ideas!

birtha

Cavy Slave
It can fit two guinea pigs (about 30x50) and no it cant be exband but I was thinking maybe I could build up?

birtha

Cavy Slave
I was woundering if the plastic pools would work and if they had a certain name because ive beem trying to look them up on the internet but no luck:sad: thank you and please postlol

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
I am not clear on what 30 x 50 is? Is that centimeters or inches?
30 inches by 50 inches is plenty of space for two guineas.
30 centimeters by 50 centimeters is only 11.8" X 19.7", so in that case the cage is much too small for even one pig, much less 2.

I don't know what State or Country you are in, so I can't help much. If you can post a general idea of where you are, we may can help you find CC supplies.
If you cannot find coroplast or grids anywhere, you can also try linoleum flooring, a thick plastic or rubber mat, or a shower curtain for cage flooring, and either wire or closet shelving for cage sides/walls. The CC Cage idea is pretty adaptable, you just have to use your imagination of things you can use/find. There are lots of ideas in the "alternative cages gallery, in the photo galleries.

There have been some people here who have used the kid pools, and it would be enough space for 2 pigs, but you would probably still need some sort of wire around the sides. They are called wading pools, or hard shell pools here.
The ones like this:
(broken link removed)
A snap set pool like this, might also be workable as a last restort:
(broken link removed)

As for giving your pigs things to do. Mine love boxes with holes cut in them, pvc pipe, piles of hay, just lots of things to explore through and play in.

RustBucket

Cavy Slave
We just built one last night out of wood and something called hardware cloth. The wholeproject cost less than $20 but I already had most of the wood.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
We just built one last night out of wood and something called hardware cloth. The wholeproject cost less than $20 but I already had most of the wood.
Glad you found something to work for you. Make sure you line the bottom (if it's wood too) with something waterproof like coroplast, linoleum or vinyl tiles.

We'd love to see pictures of the finished project.

birtha

Cavy Slave
yea its inches. But I dont think I can get a wading pool becuase it might be to big for my room. But ill still be take your advice if you keep giving itlol
Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.