Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General 80$ Petco GIFCARD!!! What are your favorite guinea pig toys/treats?!

Mr. Pig

Cavy Slave
That's right! I have an 80$ giftcard I was wondering what your guys's pigs love the most as to treats and toys!

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't really buy any of the treats the most Petco's offer. Yogurt treats and other surgary messes aren't good for your pigs. They do have small papaya pieces that are supposed to just be papaya and artificial color, but it [looks] like they're covered in sugar. The best kind of treats are just fresh fruits and veggies!

If I had that kind of money to spend at Petco, I would just go for the cardboard tunnels and carefresh bedding! Maybe a little slicker brush to brush your pigs hair too!

Mr. Pig

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't really buy any of the treats the most Petco's offer. Yogurt treats and other surgary messes aren't good for your pigs. They do have small papaya pieces that are supposed to just be papaya and artificial color, but it [looks] like they're covered in sugar. The best kind of treats are just fresh fruits and veggies!

If I had that kind of money to spend at Petco, I would just go for the cardboard tunnels and carefresh bedding! Maybe a little slicker brush to brush your pigs hair too!

Thank you, and do you mean the timothy hay tunnels? And as for the bedding I just use fleece so carefresh is out of the picture. They Don't fit in their igloos anymore so I need to get a big one or two maybe idk.. I was thinking theyd share the big one because they like to snuggle with eachother in the small one. and I have NO idea for anything else new bottles and new dishes is all i can think of.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
If you're not handy enough to make cuddle cups yourself, some Petcos have a ferret bed that is perfect as a piggy bed, too. I've also gotten straw and plastic tunnels there that Borat is crazy for. Otherwise, go for basic supplies, although sadly I've never seen Oxbow pellets at Petco, just Petsmart.

Mr. Pig

Cavy Slave
If you're not handy enough to make cuddle cups yourself, some Petcos have a ferret bed that is perfect as a piggy bed, too. I've also gotten straw and plastic tunnels there that Borat is crazy for. Otherwise, go for basic supplies, although sadly I've never seen Oxbow pellets at Petco, just Petsmart.
I NEEDDD THAT! I've wanted a cuddle cup for the longest time! But I'm not crafty at all... I will check those out! I am gonna go there in like 20 minutes.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
See if they have any good pellets or hay. The Petsmart where I live has several types of Oxbow hay, and Cavy Cuisine Essentials timothy pellets. I'd skip most of the treats, as they're all fruit and yogurt stuff that really isn't good for piggies. Maybe a toy or something; they have a timothy hay tunnel made by Oxbow. Kwee loves to play in it, and though it's edible, she just nibbles on the edge every now and then. It's still mostly intact a month after I got it.

emeraldamykate

Cavy Slave
As far as supplies, I'm not too sure. Like others have said I don't think they carry oxbow or any other high quality food so I'd pass on that.
Also, I'd pass on any of the treats. Pet store treats are terrible for them.
You don't use carefresh, so you don't need that.

Honestly there's nothing else I can think of besides those things.

But if you do find things you want to buy I highly recommend buying it online. Usually it's cheaper, and if you spend a certain amount there is probably free shipping. :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't shop at Petco often but I know they sell water bottles, Benebac, pigloos, ceramic dishes. I brush my pigs with a soft bristle cat brush and I'll bet they have them. They also carry bottle brushes that have a tiny brush attached to the handle that fits inside the bottle spout.

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Also small safe cat toys are also a good idea for them, as long as they have safe openings and such. I know my bunnies love this Rollin' the Hay Ball, and so do my guinea girls also. :)

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I suggest one of these: Super Pet Crinkle Tunnel at PETCO

I bought one for my little girl, she loves running through it but it's more for floor time because she constantly poops/pees in it if I leave it in the cage.

Another thought - if you don't have a small carrier for taking your pig to the vet, a carrier might be a good idea. :)

If you still have a few extra dollars left on the gift card you might want to buy a syringe or two in case you need them for feeding or meds?

Mr. Pig

Cavy Slave
I suggest one of these: Super Pet Crinkle Tunnel at PETCO

I bought one for my little girl, she loves running through it but it's more for floor time because she constantly poops/pees in it if I leave it in the cage.

Another thought - if you don't have a small carrier for taking your pig to the vet, a carrier might be a good idea. :)

If you still have a few extra dollars left on the gift card you might want to buy a syringe or two in case you need them for feeding or meds?
DEF getting that thanks

pinky

Cavy Slave
You can get a few free syringes when you need them at most pharmacies if you tell them it's for a small pet. I always get free ones from Walgreens. I prefer the 1 ml ones..

schavarry

Cavy Slave
You can get a few free syringes when you need them at most pharmacies if you tell them it's for a small pet. I always get free ones from Walgreens. I prefer the 1 ml ones..

This is true Pinky - I just saw them on the petco website and figured I'd throw it out there if she has extra $ left on the card so she doesn't waste it on icky treats or something...

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I tried to get free syringes at Walgreens. I even told them it was for pet medicine dispensing but they didn't give it to me for free. I think they charged me a dollar for one syringe.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I tried to get free syringes at Walgreens. I even told them it was for pet medicine dispensing but they didn't give it to me for free. I think they charged me a dollar for one syringe.

I've gotten them free at Osco Pharmacy and Walgreens. I just asked for one or two and explained it was for a sick pet that needed to be hand fed. They usually give me a few of them. Osco even asked me what size I needed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.