Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Found piggies to adopt..BUT....

still_crimson

Cavy Gazer
No. I got the stand and lid for the cage but still waiting for the cage itself and the flippers and accessories. And while I'm thinking of it what's a good laundry detergent t that I can find easily? I read a lot of them will coat the fleece and it won't Wick. I think I had that problem when I had my rats, because nothing would soak through the fleece. It would just sit on top.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Just make sure it doesn't contain dyes or perfumes. I use all free and clear. Not sure where you live. You can even try tide free and clear. Pretty much any detergent that's free and clear. Some people even have a homemade detergent. I've found a little dawn blue dish soap helps the wicking.

still_crimson

Cavy Gazer
That's what I have. But everything came out with a bit of a sticky feel. I didn't think I used too much and only had that problem with the fleece liners, the accessories were fine. I had the rats for a few months but it never wicked. Hoping an extra rinse cycle will help. Btw I need to baby proof the cage. I don't have any cardboard. Do you think pasteboard would hold up? I was told I need nine inches in height.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I ordered flippers to and they should be here tomorrow [emoji1]

still_crimson

Cavy Gazer
How much dish soap? And how many times do you have to do it? Do you use it with detergent or without? How many times do you need to rinse to get it all out?

still_crimson

Cavy Gazer
Yay! Flippers for everyone!

still_crimson

Cavy Gazer
Regarding the baby proofing thing. .. It was supposed to say poster board. ... Not pasteboard.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
10 inch tall posterboard would probably do the trick.

still_crimson

Cavy Gazer
Sweet. Thanks.

still_crimson

Cavy Gazer
:mad: OK... I know this thread is for the piggies I'm adopting. But I'm so P*SS*D off I have to vent, so I apologize upfront.
My apartment complex manager, who knows I love animals, called me early today freaking out because some people who moved out at the end of APRIL in one from one of the complexes here just left there animals behind. Left behind were a drained round open fish bowl, three bettas, one in a mason jar, and two in another mason jar, and a baby bearded dragon. They said the water in the mason jars was filthy so they changed water, but water hadn't been treated. So the maintenance man gives me a ride to the complex to show me what was left behind. I went back and added water conditioner and proceeded to take them all home with me. I have no spare tanks for the bettas and can't keep them in an open bowl due to cat, so as much as I regretted I brought them to a local pet shop because I knew they would take them and look after them. I know I probably shouldn't have but I don't really have any friends and no way to keep them.
Now we get to the beardie. First off there was dried dehydrated veggies in his cage. The maintenance man just put water in his bowl but he was out of water previous to this. The electricity had been shut off because ppl left a while ago. He's in a 20 long zilla reptile cage with sliding lid, but screen was broken so couldn't set lamps on top. Only had uvb lamp and night heat lamp, no daylight heat bulb. So I had to get that, crickets with a cage for those, get the screen replaced, etc. Cage was SO filthy. While sanitizing the driftwood, hidey hut, etc in bleach water solution a dead full grown cricket floated to the top. SO even when he was being fed the food was WAY too big for him, as he needs the tiny tiny baby ones. To give you an idea of how small he is, the space between his eyes is 1/2 inch MAX. So he has been without food, water, and heat source for at least a couple weeks. I am letting the stuff dry now so I can move on to sanitizing the cage itself. Feel bad he's still not set up properly but doing the best I can on short notice and running around all day and working around having had to get my daughter from school and waiting for her dad to pick her up earlier.
And the substrate in his cage was that repti sand stuff, which he could easily ingest chasing down crickets. I got some cage carpet for now.
ANYWAYS what the H*LL! Sorry for the rant I just had to get it out.
Done now... I promise.

still_crimson

Cavy Gazer
Well I got the fleece flippers today, along with food dishes, water bottles, bottle brush cleaner. I have yet to wash them as I have been busy with the baby beardie I've taken in, who I think I have determined is a girl. I've named her Sachi, which is japanese for "girl child of bliss". I also am still not done rearranging my room and should get the cage and accessories in tomorrow, and am supposed to get the piggies Saturday. So much to do and so little time! Lol.

SomethingFunny

Cavy Slave
Wow, that's awful. It's bad enough when people dump their dogs and cats outside when they move, but leaving an animal locked inside? Where they might not be found and can't even scrounge or beg for food? That is insane!!

still_crimson

Cavy Gazer
Yea, and this one is just a baby. I mean maybe 3 1/2 inches max from tip of nose to hind legs. But she is more active today and chowed down on crickets! She ate 11, and I'm supposed to feed her as much as she can eat in a 15 min. period at least twice a day. But I only bought 24 and a few died and pet shop was closed today so I was worried about running out. She could have prob. kept going. lol.

still_crimson

Cavy Gazer
Well I just got home a little bit ago with the boys. Wanted to get a pic but they ran straight into their little log hidey huts. Poor things look so scared. Will post a pic as soon as I can get one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.