Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick G.I Issues-Unknown Cause-Symptoms: Mushy poop, then constipation, then mushy poop,etc

Yikes! In my previous post I said extra virgin olive oil, but I must have been thinking about salad! Because I meant organic cold pressed coconut oil!

@spy9doc, thank you! It really means a lot. We absolutely DO have to consider that it's not IBD, although a lot of symptoms and even the progression sound similar - but you are absolutely right, I would still encourage OP to follow through with diagnostics to rule out other causes and do more observation.

IBD in guinea pigs has kind of become an important cause for me. Many vets (even the best and really experinced exotic vets) don't even realize that pigs can get IBD. And it's tricky, because there is no test to diagnose it while the pig is alive (a biopsy that would be required it to dangerous for guinea pigs). Just through reading people's stories in the past, I have strong suspicions that it's more common than people realize. I even saw one case where the x-rays were nearly identical to my own piggy.

I had to become an 'expert' in my piggy's condition, because no one knew what was going on or really what to do (and all I wanted was one person to know what was happening). A lot of it was trial and error and a lot of observation and perfecting everything. My piggy was an incredible fighter, and she lived a year and four month after the first serious episode. She lived to be over 5 years old. I feel like it's her legacy and my reponsibility to use our experience to help other pigs. That's why I am doing a chronology for Guinealynx. I want both people and vets to be aware of the condition, as well as to know that it CAN be managed in the long term.

Thank - you to Couchon and everyone else for your comments and advice. Couchon your post is awesome, very informative. I'm sure it will help lots of people in the future. I should clear something up, IBS is not what I am dealing with. It took me a little too long to put two and two together - but contaminated hay caused my guinea pigs to develop a nasty G.I. bacterial infection. I decided to open up about what I am going through, in the hopes that it will help others. And on that note, here is a little update on both of my guinea pigs ...

FUNKY
Today is Funky's last day on Metronidazole. His poop is looking great and he is eating most of his Orchard hay. Hopefully, when he is off his meds, he will start eating pellets on his own. He has more energy and I am cautiously optimistic that he will be fine. At only 5 1/2 months old, he was just too young to go through this. I miss seeing him popcorn and run away from me. I hope to see that again soon! :)

SPUNKY
This past Sunday, Spunky had a really tough day. I watched him go to sleep and his eyes closed completely and receded. It was almost as if they disappeared. I really thought I was going to lose him. So, I left him at the vet on Monday where he got fluids, antibiotic injection, etc. I brought him home Tuesday and I've been trying to keep him as comfortable as possible. He has lost more fur. He finishes off his veggies, but barely touches his hay and pellets. Last night, he woke me up at about 2 am and I heard him wheek a few times, they way he used to when he had his bladder stone. It is possible that he has developed another bladder stone, but it could just be this infection that is causing g.i. issues. Today, he seems really tired.

My guinea pigs got sick because of what I did, so I have felt like it is my responsibility to get them the care they need. It is so heart breaking seeing them in pain. My hope was that I would cure their infection and I would have a happy ending. But yesterday, I noticed a new symptom. Both Spunky and Funky have bumps on their tummies - in pretty much the same location. It is not a lump, it is more of a scab/bump (sort of feels like an elevated birthmark). I fear that it is the beginning of a tumor. I read that certain bacterial infections can cause cancer so ... Does anyone have experience with an infection causing cancer?

I am left wondering, if these bumps turn into lumps and I get them removed, what are the chances of them coming back? I don't want my guinea pigs to suffer and Spunky is.

- Helena

Bacterial infections do not generally cause cancer. There are a few exceptions, one of which almost certainly does not apply to guinea pigs -- that of h. pylori infections in the stomach. H. pylori is an acid-loving bacterium, and guinea stomachs just don't produce enough acid to provide a good environment for them. Infections that go on long enough to produce a lot of inflammation over a considerable of time may also be implicated in cancer. but I also doubt that's what you're dealing with here. Medical students are taught to "think horses, not zebras," meaning that you start with the most common things first, and only after you rule them out do you worry about rare and unusual problems.

Can you post a picture of the lumps?

I also want to thank @couchon for that incredibly comprehensive and informative post! I'd love to ask you a couple of questions out of curiosity (via message so we don't hijack the thread), if you don't mind?

I also want to thank @couchon for that incredibly comprehensive and informative post! I'd love to ask you a couple of questions out of curiosity (via message so we don't hijack the thread), if you don't mind?

Of course!

P.S. OP - I am really glad it's not IBD, but I think things like the heating/vibrating pad that I mentioned has helped a lot of the piggies with gas. Some other things (maybe Simethicone) can help with gas as well.

Last edited:
One of my guinea pigs was prescribed Ovol with his antibiotics to help keep him pooping properly. Oval is like Simethicone, I believe. I agree, very helpful for G.I. issues.
I will try and post pics of the bumps soon.
Feel free to hi-jack this thread. Hi-jack away.
Tummy issues are tummy issues: The causes are different but the symptoms and treatment share numerous similarities.

UPDATE:
My piggies seem to like taking turns giving me panic attacks!! Anyone else know that feeling? Will this infection ever go away? It's like the cat, "The cat came back the very next day, he just wouldn't stay away!" I think I might be loosing it ... :)

Spunky's poop has never looked better but Funky's poop is looking funky! :-(

Funky has been off antibiotics for one day and some of his poop looks and feels great, while some are mushy. This morning, his cage was full of squashed poop. If his poop was firm the way it should be, it wouldn't be squashed like that. I've also heard him sneeze approx. 5 times today. This morning he felt kinda warm, but then he felt fine. He should be eating more hay but has asked for food. He loves his cucumber!! This is really frustrating because he saw the vet on Tuesday, and he got a clean bill of health. As soon as my piggies are off antibiotics, this infection re-appears. Does that mean this infection is antibiotic resistant? Will my piggies beat this infection?

I was at work most of the day so I've only been able to observe him first thing in the morning and this evening.
Is some mushy poop normal? Does some mushy poop mean his infection is back?

No, mushy poop probably means you're feeding him too many vegetables, particularly cucumber. Take him off all veggies until his poop clears up, then add them back one at a time, a day or two in between additions, until you either hit one that causes the mushiness, or you get them all added back with no problems.

On the one hand, mushy poop has been the most significant symptom of this infection my guinea pigs are fighting to begin with. (It isn't an URI, it is a gastro infection)
On the other hand, lots of veggies can cause mushy poop - and I was hoping he would eat more on his own today, so I did not syringe feed his as much as before. Maybe that is what is causing the difference. That said, he has had cucumber, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, and a little bit of orange (every few days) for the past two weeks without mushy poop.
I'm going to continue to monitor, maybe I overreacted, time will tell.
Thanks bpattters for calming me down!! :)

Are these marks the beginning of a lump/tumor?

Hi all,

It's been about a week since I've posted anything because things were going really well. Thank - you Spy9Doc and Bpatters for your advice and feedback. The amazing thing about Funky is that since I've had him - his poops have been identical and textbook perfect - except for when he was on antibiotics for an infection. The change in poop size along with a lot of yawning (lethargy) were two big clues that he was sick to begin with. I've had other guinea pigs who go back and forth - appetite changes, poo size changes, ... but Funky has been very "regular".

I'm posting today because there has been a change that has me worried. For a couple of days now: Funky has been refusing lettuce (he does want cucumber though, which I only give in tiny amounts), is barely eating his pellets, and his poops are much smaller (probably because he is eating less). He is eating hay. I just introduced Oat hay today which he seems to really like. His poops feel very dry (maybe because he is eating less lettuce?) and they are about half the size of his normal poop size. I really thought he was better. Everything looked good for an entire week. Is it possible that after one week of health his infection is back?

Pictures on Photobucket: What are they?
I mentioned in a previous post that both my guinea pigs have strange marks on their tummy's. Is this from the infection or something completely separate? Is it nothing or worrisome? I suspect that Funky's is nothing (maybe urine scald?) but Spunky's is the beginning of a lump. What do you think? Do those marks look like the beginning of a lump?

You can click on the arrows to see all my photos. Spunky's other symptoms include hair loss on my both back legs and on his tummy and bad poop (tiny & mushy).

Thanks for all feedback!
- Helena

You're much better positioned to tell if it's a lump, as you should be able to feel it, and we're looking at flat pictures.

Any variation in diet can cause a change in poop size.

Dry poop is NOT a sign of an infection.

It doesn't feel like a lump, more like a scab. What is it? Are markings like that normal? It just seems so strange that both of my piggies have similar marks in similar locations, and those marks appeared around the same time.

On May 20th Funky weighed 779 g (He was still taking anti-biotics). Today, he is down to 745 g. Is there anything I can feed him to help him gain weight? How long should it take for him to regain the weight he lost? At 6 months old, how much should he weigh? July 1st he will be 6 months old!! I can't wait to stop worrying, just enjoy him, and celebrate him being 6 months old. I have big plans for July 1st. :)

Thanks!
- Helena

I can't wait to stop worrying, just enjoy him, and celebrate him being 6 months old.

Then start now. Not everything that goes on with a pig is a dire emergency. If the skin thing gets worse and you're still worried, see a vet.

How much should a six month old human weigh? It depends on how big the baby is. Large babies weigh more than small ones. Same thing with guinea pigs. If your pigs aren't so skinny that their ribs are sticking out, and are eating normally, they're fine. Pigs are herbivores, so they don't usually gain as quickly as carnivores and omnivores, and they almost never are overweight.

Quick update: Funky's "scab"-like- mark (bump) on his tummy has disappeared. I found a similar mark on a picture of a dog and according to the vet that commented on the picture, the mark was caused by antibiotics or the infection itself. I just wanted to mention that so if anyone ever sees something similar on their piggie they know one possibility of what it could be. I realize this isn't common, but it is interesting, no?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.