Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General The Joy of Piggyhood!

sundizz

Cavy Slave
My gf and I just got our guinea pigs 4 weeks ago. I can't believe how much I've grown to love them in such a short time (I'm not a very emo person)! They don't run away, come to the side of their cage, make happy noises, are fine with us picking them up, etc. In short, they are such sweet girls. They take great care of each other too and are getting along better and better everyday. I had so many questions and reading the posts here and asking questions had helped so much. Because of this forum I got them checked out, built them a much better cage, know how/when/what to feed/what bedding to use, how to play with them, and how to get creative with random objects around the house for them. They are in great spirits now, comfortable, do laps, popcorn and in general just are a pleasure to be around. Luckily, their cage is right by my feet (and i live in a one room) so I get to see them for many hours a day!

Thanks everyone =)

The Joy of Piggyhood! The Joy of Piggyhood! The Joy of Piggyhood!
The Joy of Piggyhood! The Joy of Piggyhood!

Veggielady79

Cavy Slave
They are so sweet!! Can you talk to my husband about how wonderful guineas are? Hahaha (He is quite jealous of all the attention our guy is getting). I'm glad you are enjoying them so much. We have only had our guinea for going on a month and I feel the same way -- it's so rewarding to watch them "come out of their shell" and feel at home (as I write this, our Cubby is standing on my arms, trying to get my attention). Love your hay rack, too! (I can't go to ANY store without looking EVERYTHING over as something I could use for him!) I need to look for something like that to use!

Enjoy your sweet girls! :)

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
Your girls are adorable!!!!! I enjoy mine just as much!!! I have 3 boys and 4 girls!!! I love it when I am holding them and they want to nuzzle up under my chin and start to "purr". Always melts my heart.

Veggielady79

Cavy Slave
Do you know what breed these are? I was in Petco the other day to get supplies, and I can't help but look at all the critters (as much as it breaks my heart). There was a little guinea that looked a lot like your white one -- pointy ears and HUGE eyes (so pretty). Almost looks like half chinchilla! :)

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
The orange one looks American short haired, the other white one is crested (because of the single collick on her head)

Veggielady79

Cavy Slave
The orange one looks American short haired, the other white one is crested (because of the single collick on her head)

Do they have larger eyes as a trait? The one in the store had VERY noticeably large eyes, even though he was in a cage with a guy with little squinty red eyes.

sundizz

Cavy Slave

Great to know! I've looked at guinea pig breeds/pictures online a ton and still can't tell at all. Well GP (the short-haired white/orange one) was easy to tell. Cavy on the other hand...had no idea. Any differences between the breeds (in terms of care etc)?

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
@sundizz
Well american short hairs are normally easier to take care of because of their smooth coat, and I think they are sometimes healthier , but thats my opinion. Longer haired pigs such as peruvians are lots of care because of their coat and a very good book I read thats informative said sometimes they can be more lethargic than others. Other than that, I dont think there is anything else.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Do they have larger eyes as a trait? The one in the store had VERY noticeably large eyes, even though he was in a cage with a guy with little squinty red eyes.
Big eyes are just big eyes, no breed has bigger eyes than the other, to my knowledge. But if there was one with squinty eyes, sounds like a lethal. Ive seen lethal pigs with squinty red eyes.

Veggielady79

Cavy Slave
Big eyes are just big eyes, no breed has bigger eyes than the other, to my knowledge. But if there was one with squinty eyes, sounds like a lethal. Ive seen lethal pigs with squinty red eyes.

Oh, poor little guy :(

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
@Veggielady79 It's not that she has bigger eyes than the other, she just has some black "eyeliner" making her eyes appear larger. My Princess Penelope has the same type of eyes, they look huge haha it's so cute! :) Any coloring/breed of guinea pig can have the black eyeliner.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
My Cody is the same @LuvCavysLuvCats, he has black "eyeliner". ITS ADORABLE! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.