Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Chirping

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
So at an ungodly early hour this morning, one of my guinea pigs decided to take up the pastime of chirping. Loudly. I'm sure I would have found it adorable had it been after sunrise, but as it is I found it very obnoxious. They are all boys. What could it mean, and how can I discourage early morning serenades from becoming a thing my herd does on a regular basis?

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Maybe one was fighting with another and he got scared and chirped, or maybe he thinks hes a rooster that needs to chirp and an unreasonable hour lol

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
It sounds like something happened (maybe a fight or disagreement) that caused the loud chirping that they don't normally do. Or like @ PiggieWigglies said, your pig thinks it's a rooster. Lmbo :D

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Chirping is not something they usually do in response to being scared. Most pigs who chirp do it when everything is perfectly quiet, and will stop if anyone makes a noise. My chirper chirps a lot at night, but also during the day. You can't do anything about the pig, so I recommend ear plugs for you.

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
No one was fighting. When I went to check on them-because at first I was still dreaming and thought a bird flew down our chimney- RC was in the hay box eating, Gobo was hanging by the water bottle and Wally was in one of the hideys. There were no scuffling sounds or anything, it was like one of them just decided to serenade the others lol! We'll have to move them downstairs if they are going to chirp-I can't risk them waking the children ;)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If downstairs is where the family spends most of its time, that's a better place for them anyway. They tend to get forgotten in upstairs bedrooms, and don't get nearly as much family interaction as they want or need.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
It may be just a one time thing. My guinea pigs have only chirped once in the three years I have had them. It was also at night and woke me up.

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
We use both floors equally. They get lots of interaction. Of the 3, only RC seems to be really interested in people, Gobo and Wally wheek their heads off for food, but don't enjoy being touched at all. It's too bad because Gobo has lonnng hair and needs regular grooming, which he does not enjoy.

pinky

Cavy Slave
All of my chirpers chirped the first time at night after being startled by something. I think it's their way of trying to distract predators by tricking them into thinking there's a bird nearby. I had one that continued to chirp for the remainder of her life. Her sound became more like a singing canary as she chirped more and more. The others only chirped a few times. I watched one really closely and noticed that the sound seemed to come from her throat. Her mouth didn't move at all but her throat vibrated. They all looked like they were in a trance when they chirped.

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
Interesting. They haven't chirped since that one time, at least that I have heard.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.